Moving

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm moving soon - about a 5 hour drive to the new house. I have no alternative but to take Maxine in my car in her carrier. Is it realistic to expect Max to make that trip without a break?
Max is 10 years old and has always hated being put in her carrier. Once in, she's fine. Settles right down and never makes a sound. But these are always much shorter trips to the vet. No need for food, water, etc.
On this longer trip it would be almost impossible to let her out of her carrier as it would be almost impossible to get her back in, and I can't let her run free in the car
I don't think medication is the answer as, as I said, she's fine once in the carrier.
So, in summation, is it ok for her to go 5 hours without water or her litter box? Or, am I missing some other obvious solution?
Any and all opinions appreciated.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
TCS has an Article about moving with your cat that may have some helpful information for you:
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way

I have never moved further than 1-2 hours away but I'm sure other members who have moved and been through this can share their experience with you. Good luck! :goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Neely. I'll check it out.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A carrier which is larger than a standard cat carrier would give her room for some food and maybe some padding if she needs to relieve herself....of course, if your car is loaded up, you don't have room for a larger one.

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A carrier which is larger than a standard cat carrier would give her room for some food and maybe some padding if she needs to relieve herself....of course, if your car is loaded up, you don't have room for a larger one.
Thanks Fionasmon. I didn't think about padding in case she needs to go.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Line her carrier with puppy pads. They are nice and absorbent and should get her through the whole trip. Once she is in her carrier you want to leave it closed unless you absolutely have to open it. She should do okay for five or six hours without food or water.

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Line her carrier with puppy pads. They are nice and absorbent and should get her through the whole trip. Once she is in her carrier you want to leave it closed unless you absolutely have to open it. She should do okay for five or six hours without food or water.
Thanks Susan. I'll look for puppy pads.