Moving with Wessie: Personality change?

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello my fellow TCS members,

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but I haven't been posting much for a while. I mentioned in Lauren's thread that I had moved a few months ago. Anyway, I moved to a wonderful home with 10 acres. It's on a private road in the forest with only four neighbors. Anyhow, this thread is supposed to be about how Wessie accepted the move- so I better get back to the topic. :)

He didn't seem to care while we packed everything into boxes that filled the living room. Honestly I think he really liked sitting on top of the boxes and surveying the house. Wessie has never been one of those cats that doesn't like furniture being moved.

The day that we loaded everything into the moving van he got a little nervous... He was sitting in the closet in a basket- which sadly was finally taken out from underneath his bum and put into the truck as well. So that night he stayed alone in the empty house while we slept at the new house. Fast forward the next night when we go to pick him up and take him to our new home. We loaded him into his pet taxi, and then into the truck he went.

I was a little surprised, because he seemed very calm. Usually he starts freaking out if I walk all the way to the fence in the backyard with him in his pet taxi. (I know that sentence did not make a bit of sense. I apologize.) I should have known that things would go better than expected, due to how he acted when I got him his rabies shot.

Let us rewind so I can tell you about it. Since we're moving to the woods, I wanted to be safe and get him his first rabies shot. You never know what kind of animals are out there! I walked with him in his pet taxi the 4 blocks to the rabies clinic that was being held for World Rabies Day. He didn't even meow, even though there were dogs surrounding him. And let me tell you- he hates dogs. He didn't even seem that nervous when the vet lady pulled him out of his carrier and gave him the shot. Isn't he amazing? :p

Anyway, due to the circumstances, he now has to "live" in the garage. He goes out every day, and seems to love it. Ever since we moved here, he purrs more, he sits on my lap :D, and he actually wants to, that's the best part! The only thing that hasn't changed is that he still hates to be held. I just can't believe his personality change sometimes. He loves taking walks in the forest with me as well. It's awesome, he's just like a dog or something. Anyhow, has anyone else noticed a personality change like this after moving? And thank you if you actually took the time to read this. :)

Hope to be on more soon,

Eileen

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I adore Wessah!  I am glad he is happy! 
  My crew hasn't experienced a move, so I don't know how they would react.  I suspect they would not take to change, but you never know...