Moving With Outdoor Cats

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My parents are moving in the next month and have two outdoor cats that they are taking with them. They plan to keep the cats confined to an enclosed outdoor porch area at the new house. How long should the cats be confined before they can be let loose on the new property? Are there any special preparations my parents should make when moving the cats to the new house?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely scan the property for unforeseen risks - are there Great Horned Owls or large predators? Do the neighbors let their dogs roam freely or have a set time for potty breaks when they are unleashed & prone to chase new cats? Are there ferals in the area who have established territory in part of the yard? Sometimes an adjustment in scheduling is all that it takes to prevent conflicts.
And please give your folks a huge THANK-YOU for taking their outdoor kitties with them when they move!! We rescuers cannot overemphasize how happy that makes us feel! :thanks:

And, please, give us updates on how things are going once the big move happens.:sunshine::rock:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would definitely scan the property for unforeseen risks - are there Great Horned Owls or large predators? Do the neighbors let their dogs roam freely or have a set time for potty breaks when they are unleashed & prone to chase new cats? Are there ferals in the area who have established territory in part of the yard? Sometimes an adjustment in scheduling is all that it takes to prevent conflicts.
And please give your folks a huge THANK-YOU for taking their outdoor kitties with them when they move!! We rescuers cannot overemphasize how happy that makes us feel! :thanks:

And, please, give us updates on how things are going once the big move happens.:sunshine::rock:
Thank you for your advice! :)
I don't know about local dogs or cats, but there may be a potential problem with predators. A few weeks ago my dad asked me about weasels and if they could be a danger to cats because they saw one at the new property. (I used to have a ferret and know plenty local wildlife.) We are in Michigan so at first I thought he was talking about a short- tailed or least weasel. Both species are ferocious, but too small to really hurt a cat. But, he said what he saw was big. Today I realized he must have seen a mink. The new house is on a lake and minks, although uncommon in Michigan are almost always found near water since they eat a lot of fish and frogs. The problem is minks are just as ferocious, but a LOT bigger. Google says they have been know to kill cats. Male mink can get up to 5 lbs with razor sharp teeth. I am a little worried now and wish I had put two and two together sooner. :doh:
I warned my mother about the mink. She did not seem to concerned and then proceeded to tell me that bobcats have also been spotted in the area. :frustrated:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of great advice given here, but (yikes) w/ the very possible dangers you mentioned in your last post, the minks & bobcats, I would talk to them about possibly trying to conform them into indoor only cats. If they are going to be confined for about 8 wks anyway, by then, they may be used to it. At least they will have a porch to enjoy.
As long as they have a couple of good cat trees, (I have found the best for less on chewy.com) plenty of toys, & a couple of litter boxes, they should be fine.
I never thought that I'd be able to convert my last girl, since she showed up from the neighborhood, but when we had to move, it was a different story. I would never have let her out because she didn't know the area. I got a harness & leach, so that I could at least try to give her some outside time, safely in the fenced in back yard. ( Because she could still have jumped the tall fence). But. ..
She was not big on going out like that. Weather it was the harness & leash, or the strange new place, she started running to hide under the bed when she would see me get it out & ask if she wanted to go out. After a few times, I didn't try anymore.
Especially when she started staying on the patio & not even wanting to go out on the grass. Instead of a getting used to it thing, it was just stressing her out too much, so I stopped trying. As long as she could be up in a window sill or up in her tree looking out, she was fine. I made sure to make some time for playtime with her everyday. :)
Best of luck to your parents. Keep us posted.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lots of great advice given here, but (yikes) w/ the very possible dangers you mentioned in your last post, the minks & bobcats, I would talk to them about possibly trying to conform them into indoor only cats. If they are going to be confined for about 8 wks anyway, by then, they may be used to it. At least they will have a porch to enjoy.
If possible, I agree that keeping them inside sounds like the best idea.

Here's some TCS articles that might be helpful:

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door | TheCatSite
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) | TheCatSite

7 Proven Ways To Get Your Cat To Be More Active | TheCatSite
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) | TheCatSite
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know | TheCatSite

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If they are unable to keep them indoors, advise your parents to get a catio, or enclose the garden with cat proof netting around the perimeter. This is netting that is held at about a 45 degree angle and up around 6ft or more fencing to prevent cats jumping out, and predators from coming in. With the dangers you've mentioned I would be keeping kitties indoor until a suitable arrangement is found. When you move, cats should generally be kept in for at least 8 weeks anyway. If the home that they lived in previously is less than 5-10 miles away some cats will try (and in some cases manage) to find their way "home". As a precaution, leave a number for the new tennants and a picture or detailed description of the cats so they can be returned to your parents if they find themselves back at the old property. Just in case they don't make it all the way back a collar with a number, and an up to date chip is a must to ensure they are returned.

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry I did not respond right away. I have been trying to convey to my parents the dangers of just letting the cats loose at the new house. I don't think I made much of an impact. My parents have never taken what I have to say very seriously. We disagree with a lot of things when it come to how they treat the cats in their care. I absolutely agree with you guys that the two cats, Rolo and Bella, should be taken inside. But, the thing is they started out as inside only cats. My mother INSISTS on all indoor cats being declawed. I think you can figure where this is going, but Rolo and Bella both stopped using the litter box after their declawing and where thrown outside. Now, if they were both declawed at the same time and my mother just did not understand the damage declawing causes, this would a different matter. But, they had their surgeries YEARS apart. Rolo is 13 years old and was neutered/declawed at around 6 months. Bella is 6 years old and had her surgeries at the same age. Both cats used the litter box just fine before their surgeries. I have explained the reason for the cats sudden loss of litter box manners many times to my mother. I have tried to be as non judgmental as possible. (Hard thing to do when I warned her multiple times BEFORE she had them declawed) I have explained that it is possible to re-train both cats to use the litter box with a little time and patients. Nope, Nope Nope! The cats are not coming back inside. :frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:
I have told my parents that they really should keep Rolo and Bella confined for 8 weeks when they finally do move. They did not argue and seemed to accept it, but whether they do it or not, I don't know. I have a small cat tree that my kitty does not use. So, I will give that to them to put in the enclosed glass porch. My kitty also has a lot of extra toys, so I don't think she would notice if I "donated" a few to keep Rolo and Bella entertained. ;) I might buy a pack of catnip mice as well since they don't often get catnip. Any other suggestions for making their 8 week confinement more enjoyable?
I agree that the cats should have breakaway collars with IDs. I have bought 8 collars with engraved ID's for Rolo. Rolo has lost all of them. I have tried different brands and styles. I am low income and it got to the point where I just could not keep ordering him a new collar every month. I bought one for Bella, but my parents took it off after a month saying it caused her neck to get matted. She is a long haired cat, outside in the country, never brushed. But, who am I to disagree. I was not there.
:cloudy:
I am sorry for all of the negativity in this post. I am just so tired of not being able to help these cats that I grew up with and that I love dearly. Rolo is the son of Meow Meow and Reeses, two of the cats I have in my "gone, but not forgotten" album. I lost Reeses almost a year ago and I feel like I need to help her son. I am just not sure how yet.
Thank you to everyone for their support and suggestions!!!

Rolo.JPG
Bella.JPG

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moka Moka , I can imagine your worry and struggles and frustration now, esp. as I find out the kitties are declawed, meant to be indoor cats but your parents put them outside. I am one of your followers for your Album of "gone, but not forgotten" kitties :redheartpump: -- and now I am worried about these kitties (Rolo and Bella) being outdoors in a new location. They cannot defend themselves as well outside with no claws. :( I wonder if, as the 8 weeks of hopeful confinement at the new place happens, we and you can convince your parents to keep them "non-outdoor" cats for their future, beyond those 8 weeks!
group hug>> :grouphug2:

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would just be brutal and let them know that they’re cats are probably most likely going to die then. Or they will have massive vet bills (if they care to take them to the vet at all) my cat penny is declawed from whoever owned her first. We moved with her one time and she escaped and was out for most of the evening. She was indoor only at that point but I could tell she still wanted to run the streets and unfortunetly she got between a family members feet and left for the night. Came home with her leg almost torn off. The vet saved it but it costed about 3000$ after all was said and done.
I pray for those kitties. They will not last long without claws outside. Even outdoor cats with claws live significantly shorter life spans. ;(. They have been lucky so far. But luck only gets you so far.

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Moka Moka , I can imagine your worry and struggles and frustration now, esp. as I find out the kitties are declawed, meant to be indoor cats but your parents put them outside. I am one of your followers for your Album of "gone, but not forgotten" kitties :redheartpump: -- and now I am worried about these kitties (Rolo and Bella) being outdoors in a new location. They cannot defend themselves as well outside with no claws. :( I wonder if, as the 8 weeks of hopeful confinement at the new place happens, we and you can convince your parents to keep them "non-outdoor" cats for their future, beyond those 8 weeks!
group hug>> :grouphug2:
Thanks. I will not give up. But, I will have to go about this gently or they will just get anger and shut down. They do seem to care for these cats (in their own way). So, maybe with a miracle, they will finally realize how vital it is to bring the cats inside.

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would just be brutal and let them know that they’re cats are probably most likely going to die then. Or they will have massive vet bills (if they care to take them to the vet at all) my cat penny is declawed from whoever owned her first. We moved with her one time and she escaped and was out for most of the evening. She was indoor only at that point but I could tell she still wanted to run the streets and unfortunetly she got between a family members feet and left for the night. Came home with her leg almost torn off. The vet saved it but it costed about 3000$ after all was said and done.
I pray for those kitties. They will not last long without claws outside. Even outdoor cats with claws live significantly shorter life spans. ;(. They have been lucky so far. But luck only gets you so far.
Rolo has already been outside for more than 10 years, declawed and Bella has been outside for 4 or 5 years. I honestly have no clue how they are still alive. Neither of them have been to the vet since their surgeries as kittens. If one of them managed to come home after being attacked as bad as your cat, I would hope they would take them to the vet. But, as soon as they heard the cost, they would choose to euthanize. That much I am sure of as something similar has happened in the past to our dog.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe your parents will understand the issues more, & listen a little better if you show them post from this thread??
Yes, being declawed is a whole different story about them being outside....
Scary! Yes, remind them that them having no way to defend themselves is a really bad thing. That it could end up in them losing them in a painful way, or at least costing them more in the long run. Being inside would save on some things, like no longer having to do spot treatments, etc... & Thats just one thing.
Im so sorry, I know how frustrating this is for you. I really hope you can convince them its not safe & for the better.

In regards to the litter, let them know there are softer types for that particular reason.
Maybe they'd be willing to try........?