Moving with multiple cats?

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there! My mom and I are planning on moving in 2-3 years but I’ll probably forget about this question lol. Is there a certain way to move with multiple cats? We have 8 cats and kittens right now and we’re planning on moving 1-3 hours away. We’re going to take our time so we’re not going to bring all of them at once (multiple trips back and forth). Is there a certain way to bring them into the new home? Like oldest first or craziest first lol. I know to bring their favorite furniture into the new home first. I also have a dog and a parrot (maybe 2 in near future) if that changes anything. Lol I can tell you everything about each of them like how 2 kittens like the dog’s scent or how one of them “talks” to the parrot but it’ll be a long post. Maybe I’m over complicating things but I imagine it being like a chart thing lol. I moved one other time with a dog and a cat so this is different. They’re all my babies.

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.
There's no 'particular' way of moving, but there are definitely precautions that you need to take to help your cats with the preparation, transition and settling into their new home.
Here are some links that can help.
Moving with cats
Expert Q and A moving with cats
Hope this helps. 🙂

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A chart is not a bad idea. We moved to this house with 8 cats. I made sure everyone was in their carrier well before the movers arrived. Movers brought everything to new house,placed furniture around of course but left boxes to be unpacked. We quickly put the place in some sort of order with as much as we could and then made three trips back to the other house to get the cats. Make sure to coordinate with the realtor as to when you will be out for the last time.

We double checked all doors in the new house, decided on only one exit/entrance for the time being despite their being 5, and released the cats. Alternately, you could put the cats in one room or two if that works and it might be safer. You have to know your own animals and how they will react.

The night before the move we took the most feral and unfriendly cat with us in the truck as we moved a few things we did not want the movers to deal with. She was the one cat I might have had trouble getting at the last minute and her behavior was always unreliable.

I also had 4 dogs and moved the dogs first and secured them in the house while we transacted everyone else.

Being really organized and thinking it through is a good thing.