Moving to new house, need a way to keep my cat for tearing up the carpet.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats, LOVES... to claw up the carpet, and I'm going to have to repair it before I move. This isn't a huge deal but I really don't want him to ruin the carpet in my new house. I tried to get him a scratch post and even and scratch pad on the floor, he has several scratching outlets, two cat trees have them, as well as two additional scratch posts and even one on the ground but he likes to go to the stairs, lay there and start pulling up the carpet and its extremely frustrating. I've tried scented citrus cat deterrents and applied every day but it works for at best about a week and he's back to doing it. Admittedly I've also used the SCAT spray deterrents and that usually does stop him but will always have to refill plus I don't know if its safe - ontop of I would need many of them or he will just choose a new place.

Any suggestions?

KittyCat Angel

A lover of cats ❤
Young Cat
Purraise
:)
If you find a way that works great. For me it's too late!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Try to find carpet remnants of similar type carpeting and see if you can get him to focus on those instead. Lay them down in the areas he is most prone to scratch. It is possible, although I don't know how likely, that he won't find the carpeting in your new place as appealing. But, if you can get him to use the remnant rugs, there is a good chance he will continue to do so in your new home.