Moving to a New House

sbills27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are moving to a new house across town. The current owners of the house we are moving to have a dog. Will the dog dander and scent bother my cat? Or will he get used to it? We plan on having the carpet professionally cleaned before we move in. Thanks for any advice.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, but I would recommend having your cats stuff in one room and put him in there for the first day so he can relax and not be so overwhelmed from a new house.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure that the cat will probably smell the (former) dogs no matter what you do but getting the carpets cleaned is a smart thing to do.

I assume that you will be putting up your own draperies and be moving in your own furniture and upholstered items so those things will carry some of the cat's scent to the new location. That will help.

Cleaning the kitchen and bathrooms will also help. A fresh coat of paint might be good, too, as long as you give the place some time to air out, afterward. Since it's summer, now, leaving the windows open for a while ought to do it.

As far as the actual moving, I imagine the thing that will bother your cat the most will be the commotion of packing up and moving.
Make sure that the cat has a safe place to hide during all of the goings-on. Both in the new place and the old place.

I'm not certain but, IMHO, it might be better if you moved the cat last.
He's going to have to deal with commotion, no matter how you do things but I think that dealing with commotion in more familiar surroundings would be better. Just make sure that you have him in a place where he can't accidentally escape while you are moving things out the door.

Maybe you could put him in a room and lock the door while your front door is open to make way for the heavy lifting.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When we moved to this house, we had 7 cats. I put them all in carriers very early the morning of the move and left them there until everything was taken out of the house and in the new house (in boxes but everything moved over). We then moved the cats last.

They could not be allowed out of the carriers,but we monitored for water. It was stressful but not as stressful as losing a cat.

Remember your cat will have no clue what happened so will not necessarily see the new place as home; make sure you keep him safe in his own area or room.

Everything in the new house should be cleaned professionally cats or not.