Moving the babies

momof6mews

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Currently all five of the kittens are under my bed...I would really like to move them into the living room. I put them in a box, and the second they cried momma came and went straight under the bed again.

Is it possible to move the babies and have mom keep them there?
And advice is much needed. Thanks all!!!

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Truthfully, momcat would prefer to have them in a place that is warm,quiet and dark, where she feels that her babies are safe. Can you put the box in a small closet or something, instead of a noisy living room?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof6mews

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She had the babies in the middle of the living room floor, while in labor i put her on blankets, that I still have

crazykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i had the same problem i took the mama cat moved in one arm moved all the kittys in a box with the other and took them in my closet with the article of clothing she gave birth and and repeated the process mama got the idea

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to give mom the option of keeping them in the same room. They should be in a nesting box, in a warm secure dark place, not someplace open to draft and heavy traffic. She will move them if you threaten her by moving them before she does. Once her nest becomes to soiled (smelly) her instinct will be to move them. When she does, provide her a place within the same room, a nice large rubbber bin like an underbed storage container works with lots of soft bedding, tucked away in a closet or in a corner.

crazykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
find some where that is private like mentioned before put the blankets down with the kittens i think its a smell thing that helps with adjusting move the blanket first let the put the mama there and she will smell her kittens and bring the kittens back where the blankets are where mama is just make sure its private

crazykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it took me about 3 times but listen to what hissy has to say because im not an expert and i wouldnt force her. but i understand the need at the time my cat i had for many years raised since a kitten so i guess she trusted me and my decision

momof6mews

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Momma must have read my mind. I walked into the bedroom to try again, only to see her bringing her babies into the closet. LOL So, thats where they are..For now!?

crazykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
im glad u should settle with the closet just try not to have a bunch of people go in there cuse she might want some privacy probably why she chose under your bed.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by momof6Mews

Currently all five of the kittens are under my bed...I would really like to move them into the living room. I put them in a box, and the second they cried momma came and went straight under the bed again.

Hey Momof6! Welcome to the Forum! I hope you'll find it educational and informative.

As for moving the babies, everyone else has given you some real good advice and so now I am going to add mine:

If you want to move the babies to a location in your home that is more convenient for you (and I completely understand this, believe me!) then you will have to first take into some consideration what the Momcat will tolerate.

Momcats want a quiet, dark and warm place to care for their babies. They want a place that is free from threats such as other pets in the house, children's fascination with the babies or other such traffic. They want to keep the odors of the kitten nest down so as not to attract predators (or other scary monsters they perceive to also reside in your home). They want their food and potty close by but not so close as to attract those scary monsters I mentioned above.

The perfect solution?

A large dog crate. Pad the bottom tray with newspaper and if you have one, a fleecy covering. Put one of those tee-pee style cat beds in there or a snuggle-type fleece bed works well too. Pile up old sheets or towels in the corners for burrowing. Place the crate in a warm, safe location where it is convenient for you, but still out of the way of the normal household traffic. When there is lots of activity expected, move the crate, kittens and all, into another area of the house away from the activity. Drape a warm, thick blanket over the entire crate and VOILA! Convenient for you, meets Mom's needs and is still able to be moved without disrupting the nest.

You can put a litter pan and your Momcat's food/water nearby, letting her out several times per day to eat, stretch, have some "me" time away from the babies and to do her potty business.

Hope this helps.

~gf~

momof6mews

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didnt move momma's food or litter box, we kept it where it was originally and she dont seem to mind. As for the kittens, they are still too young to use the litter box (3 days old) Momma loves her "me" time...LOL, Im just glad she is going such a wonderful job. Thanks for the advice everyone!!!

toya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by momof6Mews

I would try and move them to the living room very fast. Momma will be okay she is just making sure that her babys are okay.

andeshan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Samona had her kittens a week ago and had them here in the living room beside my computer desk. I am always at my comnputer desk so I guess she feels the kittens are safe there. Although she does stay near the box when resting. The kittens are getting bigger everyday.

Momma knows what she is doing and not all cats are the same. Some want them near their owners like Samona does me and some want no one around them.

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine had her litter in the litter box so I had to move them. What I did was took a laundry basket and put a fleece blanket in the bottom and put them in one by one in front of her and then put her in there when she finished birthing. I covered the basket with another fleece blanket and moved her to my bedroom which was always really quiet. She never moved them on me and at first she looked worried but then relaxed. She didn't come out to eat or potty for three days.

I like gayef's suggestion of the crate.

kittenlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, Happy grandmother, I am a truly kitten lover, I just got my boy home last week, he is only 2 month old, very cute and playful. Since I can't stay with him all the time, I am so afraid that he will feel loney sometime. That's why I want to find him a little girl to saty with him all the time. I happen to know that you just have 5 babies, so please consider me if you want to give one away, I will treat her like a little princess. I am looking for a white and non spay princess. thanks!

andeshan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure if you was talking to me or not
But my little babies are mixed breeds and will all be required to be fixed. My only pure pure white I am keeping since she is my ghost. I am going to give the kittens away or charge $5 to keep Labs away from them. If I see that it is going to go to a very good home it will be given to them. Although I perffer these kittens being fixed since I do not know what daddy was since Samona was a release (given up to humane society) kitty. Samona and ghost will be fixed about the same time.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittenlover

Hi, Happy grandmother, I am a truly kitten lover, I just got my boy home last week, he is only 2 month old, very cute and playful. Since I can't stay with him all the time, I am so afraid that he will feel loney sometime. That's why I want to find him a little girl to saty with him all the time. I happen to know that you just have 5 babies, so please consider me if you want to give one away, I will treat her like a little princess. I am looking for a white and non spay princess. thanks!
I wouldn't recommend a female kitten for an unfixed male. I would highly recommend adopting an older and already fixed kitten from the shelter. There are plenty of white kittens and cats that are homeless and we certainly do not need anyone breeding any more.

Katie