moving soon and need help getting stray clean/adjusted to indoor life.

retro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A little over a year ago i moved into a new apartment complex and unfortunately had to give up my little furball King. I luckily found a great home for him. And though i still miss him i still keep in contact with his new parents and know he’s doing well.

Since moving here there has been a small gray cat sitting and meowing by my door. (i assume the previous renters fed her). at first she was very skittish and wouldn’t let me near her, over the past 6-8 months she’s allowed me to pet her more and more and even hold her on occasions. She gave birth to 2 litters since i’ve lived here. I’ve never seen any of the kittens though. she’d allow me to feel her stomach during the second pregnancy and seems to trust me a fair bit.

I’m moving within the next two weeks and am set on bringing her with me.i’m not sure how i should go about things. I’m positive that i could coax her into a kennel and get her to the new place. She does have some fleas though and i would definitely need to get them off her and give her a good bath.

What would be a good approach to adjusting her to indoor living, baths and just grooming in general.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for wanting to help this sweet kitty.

If you can coax her into a carrier, the first step should be a vet visit. You will want to have her treated for fleas and other parasites, but most importantly you want her spayed ASAP before she has any more kittens.

If possible give her a room of her own. It can also be the bathroom. If using a bedroom just be sure she can't get under the bed. Put the bed flat on the floor or remove it. Getting a cat out from under a bed is nearly impossible. Watch windows and blinds. Keep the windows closed and put the blinds up so she can't hurt them or herself. Some cats when first brought inside will throw themselves against the windows looking for an escape. Be prepared for this. It doesn't last long.

Have 2 litter boxes for her to start with. If she pees outside the litter box, sop it up with a paper towel and bury it in the litter. Same with poop. Cats are attracted to their own scent.

Do have a special place for her to sleep. A cat bed or even a box with a cozy blanket. Getting a cat tree or perch to look out the window would be ideal.

Also I hope you are planning to keep her as an inside cat only. Outside is a hard life for cats. If you do plan on letting her back out, she will need an inside only quarantine for 3 weeks. If not she will only go back or try to go back to her former territory.

We are here to help. So ask any questions.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for saving her! to treat the fleas, get a topical and apply it high up on the back of her neck almost between her ears. It must reach the skin, but if she licks it, they foam at the mouth. you have to stroke her, part the hair, and be VERY quick. they can feel it. if you take her to the vet to get spayed, have them put a topical on her. Do NOT bathe her, it will destroy any trust you have built up and a long time to repair it. Cats are self-cleaning. They only need to be bathed if they have feces or something all over them. They are not like dogs that need to be bathed to remain fresh. You can also get wipes made for cats and wipe her down if you feel you have to. Thank you so much for helping her, you are an angel......