Moving safe spaces? Helping cat adjust to changes

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure this is the right forum for this...but seemed close enough!

A few years ago when I moved into a new house, I set up a temporary safe room for my cat to adjust. Her litterbox is in the bathroom adjacent to that room and the room is where she was fed. Well...fast forward several years later and that room is still essentially 'her room'. I didn't need it for anything else and so there was no need to move/change where she ate. So, it's definitely become her safe spot.

Well, I soon have someone moving in and will need that room to be more than just a cat space. I also have a room that is used as my home office--it shares the bathroom that her litterbox is in.

Right now I have two options:
1. transition my cat's stuff into my home office. This would mean moving where she's fed and her scratching post. It would not mean moving the litterbox, but it would change the entrance to the litterbox. I could do this transition slowly so that she had both entry points to the litterbox.
2. Move my home office into my 'cat's room' and make the home office the new empty room. Obviously this is a bigger pain for me since it involves moving furniture around. My home office is also the smaller of the two rooms, so better suited to an office space. But this would mean cat's space stays the same.

What would you suggest?

An added factor is that the new housemate is also bringing a dog. We have started a slow introduction process. But it will be a bigger change than just a new person. Whichever room becomes my new home office will also have one of those dog gates with a cat opening, so that she has a place to go that is dog free.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I've read your post several times, trying to envision what she'd be most comfortable with - and thank you for thinking of her :)!

I think the second option might work better for her - she's going to have so much to deal with otherwise that having some stability of "her room" could be quite important.

Also, try some calming products if necessary depending on how things to with the new person and the dog introduction. When you're not working you could also try some cat music for her.

There's spotify, Youtube, Alexa cat music, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats.

Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
www.bachflower.com

Also, there is ThunderWunders calming chews, Richard's Organic Pet Calm drops, Naturevet Hemp, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking.
foodpuzzlesforcats.com

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can live with it, I would move your home office into her safe room. She is attached to this space and having you in there with her would be a bonus. With the new person and dog, as few other changes for her as possible.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, moving your office would be my choice, she will have enough stress. Get a friend or two to help you move furniture, or take it apart. After she is used to the dog you could change places again if the room is too small for your guest. Cats absolutely hate change and you are giving her a lot!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with the others regarding using her room for your 'new' office. But, I was curious - what areas/furniture in that room does she favor most, and can you keep some of those areas intact even with moving your office in there? That would be ideal.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would keep your cats safe spot the same its already going to have to deal with a dog in its territory now. dont know about other cats but graycie only tolerates visitors/guests for so long before she complains to me and then i tell them they need to kick rocks and get on and leave your pissin my cat off:D