Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No, leave her it's better for her

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

SammyGirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I'm going to be moving soon for college. I'm going from Indiana all the way to Florida. The place I'm moving into allows cats. My parents said I could take my cat Sammy with me but I don't know if it does more harm than good. She's been living closely with 2 other cats for almost 4 years now. I don't know if it's okay to just take her away from them or if I should just leave her. She'll be taken care of but I don't know when I could come and visit her and my family. Should I take her or not?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally would leave her with your parents, especially if she is bonded with the other cats in the house. As a student, you will be crazy busy and she may not get the attention she needs. Also, if she's older, the adjustment will be more difficult for her because cats are creatures of habit and thrive on routine.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I agree with stephanie, for the reasons she gave. And it's a long trip for a pussycat that presumably you'll need to do every holiday. Best not to move cats unless you have to. :)
And welcome to TCS!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that she should stay with your parents. Cats bond very strongly to places and sometimes don't easily adjust. You did not mention if you would be in a dorm, but that becomes a whole other issue and her safety will be dependent on others keeping doors closed and respecting your cat boundaries.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're not going to have much time for a cat as a busy college student. Your cat may not adjust well to roommates or guests and those same people might not be respectful of your cat and try to do dumb things like make the cat drink beer or something. It would be best to leave the cat at home with your parents and visit when you can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SammyGirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, thanks to all of you for the honest replies I will be leaving her with my parents and try to visit every now and then.