Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Moving Leaving Feral Cats Behind :(

Cruzgirl93

TCS Member
Kitten
Reaction score
Hi I have been depressed over having to move and leave 2 feral cats behind. And 1 kitten. I have been feeding the 2 for almost 2 years and 1 of them had given birth to kittens twice. The first time 3 of her kittens were taken and adopted I have 1 of them and there is a second litter under my house still young. 1 of her kittens from her first litter she managed to keep and is feral just like her and the other cat and wont let me pet them but are waiting everyday to be fed and given water. I have fallen into a depression over having to move in October and I have 4 indoor cats already. I've written a letter to my neighbor who I've noticed has a cat backyard in Hope's that they can take care of them when I leave. I hope to God they do because I am moving an hour away and I've decided the best option through research would be to leave them here in there territory. I feel horrible but need opinions if they will be ok? The 2 older cats were surving before I gave in and started to feed them everyday, I am mostly worried for her kitten she kept who is probably 7months old his whole life I've been the food and water source but I am hoping if the neighbor does not take over if the older cats will all take care of eachother.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 3 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for taking care of these cats for as long as you could possibly can. As much as we want to, we cannot save them all. What is important is we do the best we possibly can under any kinds of circumstances.

Are there any people or groups you can contact to that can do the TNR? That way they would stop multiplying. Can you also approach other neighbors and see how they would react to your requests? I went through the same predicament before when I left my previous apartment, but there was this kind neighbor who assured me he and his wife would continue feeding and caring for my previous colony in my absence. I just hope they really did, but up to know I worry and wonder about those cats.

Can you also ask your friends if anyone can try to adopt since you also mentioned that there were kittens that had been adopted before? Maybe somebody else you know can help or spread the info.

Norachan

Staff Member
Reaction score

RTR

TCS Member
Kitten
Reaction score
I was feeding two feral cats before I moved. Both cats were fixed, and had rabies shots. What I did was donate to a non kill shelter, and offer to sponsor the cats until they were relocated. it was twenty five dollars a month to sponsor them. (per cat) Many times this shelter finds people looking for barn cats. Both these cats were able to be approached by me, and petted(a little!) by me only. If your feral cats are that tame they will be easy to find a nice barn. I was told they adjusted well, and the new owner says she hasn't seen any more critters since her little hunters have arrived!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Reaction score
So my Mom is undecided and may get us both senior apartments. I did check and they allow pets. I doubt they'd let 5 cats in the apartment. They may allow Shaman and Treasure since they are litter mates but the other 3 are closely connected to either Shaman and Treasure. So now I'm just preparing how to move 5 cats to this area without causing a major warpath by the community. I can imagine 23. I'll sit back now and watch this thread so I can pick up any good advice along the way, just in the event we do leave

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
If you can only do one thing for these cats it should be to get them all spayed and neutered before you leave them.

It is possible to move a colony of feral cats. (I moved my colony of 23 when I bought a new house)

If you want some advice on how to do that we're more than happy to help, but you should get all of these cats TNR'd whether you're going to move them of not.

Everything You Need To Know About Tnr (trap-neuter-release)

9 Practical Ways For You To Help Feral Cats
23?! Wow. And here I thought moving 6 was hard :wave3:
I agree, TNR'ing would be at the top of the list, and approach anyone you know of that's nearby, and seems to like cats and ask if they would be willing to look after them.
Most cats are resiliant and would be happy in their own territory, but as Norachan Norachan said through her experience (and our own) ferals can be successfully re-located. The key is keeping them confined in an area you'd want them to stay around (a house, a garage, a barn, etc.) When we moved a few to the home we're currently at, we kept the cats confined in a large horse stall and had it jerry-rigged to cat-proof it. It was only for a week or two. The goal is for them to realize that's where home, food, and water is, so their homing instinct brings them back to where you're at, and if they wander around they know where to come home to. It CAN be done, and if it's making you this depressed I'd research it further. :hellocomputer:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cruzgirl93

TCS Member
Kitten
Reaction score
Thank you everyone who responded.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Reaction score
Hi I have been depressed over having to move and leave 2 feral cats behind. And 1 kitten. I have been feeding the 2 for almost 2 years and 1 of them had given birth to kittens twice. The first time 3 of her kittens were taken and adopted I have 1 of them and there is a second litter under my house still young. 1 of her kittens from her first litter she managed to keep and is feral just like her and the other cat and wont let me pet them but are waiting everyday to be fed and given water. I have fallen into a depression over having to move in October and I have 4 indoor cats already. I've written a letter to my neighbor who I've noticed has a cat backyard in Hope's that they can take care of them when I leave. I hope to God they do because I am moving an hour away and I've decided the best option through research would be to leave them here in there territory. I feel horrible but need opinions if they will be ok? The 2 older cats were surving before I gave in and started to feed them everyday, I am mostly worried for her kitten she kept who is probably 7months old his whole life I've been the food and water source but I am hoping if the neighbor does not take over if the older cats will all take care of eachother.
You need to get them tnr asap. Then maybe find someone with a colony who can take over caring for them, like your neighbor or maybe bring them with you. I may be facing this at some point because we may be going back to Canada. I hope not because I would not be able to being them prolly and it would kill me to leave them all. I would rather die myself than live with that pain knowing I abandoned them.

Staff online