Moving into a small home, worried that she’ll be unhappy

LittleK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need to move soon, but there’s a shortage of places and I’m having trouble finding something I feel like my cat will be happy with. Up until 4 months ago she (2yo) was an apartment kitty, with access to a balcony to lay in the sun and watch birds in nearby trees. But we’ve been at my parents with a big garden for a few months and she LOVES it. I feel so cruel to take that away from her, putting her back in an apartment (all I can afford). But even worse, I’m having trouble even finding anywhere that she could sit on a balcony and see trees. Just mostly closed-sided concrete balconies where all you really see is flat sky, even from windows.

I’m struggling with feeling like such a bad person for making a choice that will make her sad. I want to move, but keep hoping something better will turn up. It’s been a few months. Can anyone relate?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there are things you can do to be creative! They have “cat solariums” on Etsy. You could put a series of shelves or ramps high up on the walls, for exploration. (Cats like to be high up). Perhaps a “jungle” makes of houseplants, and a LIVE GOLDFISH. A tunnel of cardboard boxes. I don’t think you should feel guilty: you sound like a great mom, who gives her kitty at least 2 squares a day, a litter box and protection from the harshness too many feral cats suffer. As long as the love is there the rest will follow.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
your overthinking it she will be content together with you plus a nice perch in a sunny window will do just as good as any balcony
:yeah:

Cats adapt to their living space so don't worry. As long as they have all the basics they need and you, they're fine :grouphug:

Vertical space is more important to horizontal space. Have a tall cat tree near the window so your cat can look out. A window perch works well, too.