Moving house with mother and kittens

skylertiger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys I am new to this site I have two cats both coming up to a year old sisters from the same litter skyler has just had kittens who are 10 days old the question I have is I am going to be moving in just over a months time how will she react she is very good at allowing me to look and handle her babies also I have just noticed tht her sister is pregnant I will be moving her on to our new home before she has the kittens so she is used to her new surroundings and is comfortable to have her babies so she is used to her new surroundings and is comfortable to have her babies

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi guys I am new to this site I have two cats both coming up to a year old sisters from the same litter skyler has just had kittens who are 10 days old the question I have is I am going to be moving in just over a months time how will she react she is very good at allowing me to look and handle her babies also I have just noticed tht her sister is pregnant I will be moving her on to our new home before she has the kittens so she is used to her new surroundings and is comfortable to have her babies
Is she used to travelling in car?  How long is the transport?  THESE are is the difficultyies,   Have her in something comfortable.   A smaller dog cage is ideal.  You can lay something on the cage, so its dark and cozy in there.    If you dont have cage, you can try with a nice cardboard box.

Have a leash and collar on them during the transport, or at  least  a collar.  So if something happens, you can get them.  Also write your name and phone number on the collars.

If you are still unsure, do have Feliway spray handy.   :)

I shall ask a mod to move this your question into your own tread.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skylertiger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They have only ever been in cars when I first got them home and yes thy would be helpful as I don't have a clue how to make my own thread

skylertiger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wonder if someone call help me the babies are now 12 days old I have tried to move them out of my room but she just keeps putting them back what can I do as I really don't want them in there especially now as they are getting more lively and are starting to stand up and trying to walk

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You make ready the room you want them in, everything they need in there, nice and cozy.   You move them kittens (the whole nest if possible, with them in=, mom following.    And close the door behind.  Ie, the only way to make sure mom isnt  moviing the kittens elsewhere is to have them closed in one room.  A room with is by itself entirely OK for the mom and her kittens.

skylertiger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in a 1 bed flat, so the only room she can stay in is my living room where there is plenty of room for them to run about when they get on there feet. If I have her in here with door shut I will have to have litter tray in here. I shall try moving her again I'm just frightened that she will kill them or stop feeding them is this possible? Or are they too old for that
Thanks

ashley davidson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ohhh, moving can be very traumatising to big cats, much more for the little ones. Be very careful with this, the stress can lead to very odd behavior. They'll need to be taken in a carrier. If they're not used to it, take it outside and let them explore it, so later they'll be more comfortable. Same thing should be done with the boxes - let the moving boxes out so the cats can explore those too. The place will be a mess during the move anyway - it will be fun to watch, you know cats love boxes X3 And, don't forget the vet before and after the move.

Last edited by a moderator: