Moving House, Taking The Colony With Me.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the wonderful updates and gorgeous pictures of your property and kitties.  How lucky your kitties are to have such a wonderful space to call home.

Gin kun, it's time to come home!!!  Sending vibes your way that he makes it home safely very very soon.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
What a wonderful update.  I loved all the photos and stories.  I sure hope Gin kun comes back soon!  

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I swear @Norachan  your cats are all so gorgeous! I love how they made themselves a big family. 

I have such a crush on Little Boy not just because he's so handsome but because he's so good to the other cats. He's such a good friend. 

That picture of Forest (another of my big kitty crushes) is fantastic. It looks like it could be on a greeting card or in a calendar. He is stunning. 

I was hoping that Gin Kun would have come to his senses and went home by now. Hopefully he is OK and will be home safe and sound very soon! 
That last picture of Gin Kun is also calendar worthy. He is a gorgeous boy. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those are fantastic pictures!! I'm not at all surprised that all the girls love Little Boy.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Little Boy really has what it takes.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm completely flabbergasted. 

You're a saint, Norachan.

I've been in a such a depressed funk since the images of Omran Daqneesh, the young Syrian boy pulled from the ruins at Aleppo, were released.  That video of him shell-shocked, sitting dusty and dirty in that ambulance, wiping blood from his face, has made me question the sanity of the entire world.  

I honestly haven't been able to shake the sadness and the belief that the entire world is mad. 

Not to get too heavy, but your thread here has made me realize that there are good people out there too.

Thanks so much for that and for what you do for your amazing cats.

Like, I said earlier . . . You're a saint, Norachan. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi, I thought it was about time we had another update. I think winter is on it's way. In the hot weather the cats all sprawl around like this.

As soon as it starts getting cold they all huddle together like this.

We've even had some snow. A lot earlier than usual this year.

They were not very pleased about that. They've started eating a lot more in the past few weeks. I think they're trying to fatten themselves up for the winter. Even Happy has put on some weight.

She's still tiny compared to the others. She's small enough to be able to sit on top of the electric kettle and warm up her little butt.

Twinkle managed to get out of the enclosure gate one afternoon when I was being careless and was gone for almost six weeks. I spent the whole of October walking around looking for her and left my trail camera out, but she never showed up. Then suddenly she came back. She's lost a bit of weight but she's eating plenty and slowly starting to fill out again.

This is Twinkle, on the right, with Lizzie.

Little Boy was going for daily walks to try and help him lose weight up until October. With Twinkle going missing, the snow and the fact that it's dark by the time I finish work he doesn't get many walks these days. I'm hoping we can start them again soon as he really enjoyed them. Sometimes a few of his friends came along with us.

I'm trying not to let him put on too much weight over the winter. As you can see he's still got a way to go with his diet.

I've started rolling spare bits of tree trunk into the enclosure to give the cats more things to sit and climb on.

Here's a couple of chunks of pine tree.

I stripped the bark off the trunks and treated them with wood preserver. After I'd finished I pushed them to the end of the enclosure and made a roof over them from corrugated plastic panels. I thought it would be good for the cats to have somewhere they could shelter from the rain and get a view down the lane.

The cats had other ideas.

They can't actually get out from there as the net extends too far over the panels. Little Boy decided to climb up there after we got home from a walk one day. But hey, if it takes his weight it should stand up to being snowed on.

The Forest Cat

Fynn.

Twinkle, Marley, Little Boy and Toby.

Jiro.

The Mu.

Hope you all have a nice Christmas.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! Everyone looks fantastic!! 

Happy is so adorable. I love that second picture of her. She looks like she's thinking, "Yup- I'm sitting on a kettle. So what?"  

Any sign of Gin Kun? 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just love your updates.  The cats are just gorgeous.  You are the cat goddess for sure!!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you everyone.

@Kat0121  No, I still haven't seen him. I had the trail camera out in different spots from July to November but all I got were the usual forest critters. No predators, which is encouraging, but no sign of Gin either.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I do so hope Gin Kun will make it home soon, the other kitties must be missing him too.

As usual your pictures are just phantastic and I am always looking forward to seeing Carpet and how her fur has changed color, again.She and the Forest Cat are probably my favorites. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi everyone.

:wave3:

This weekend is our third anniversary of living here with the colony, so I thought I'd post some more pictures and give you all an update.

We survived the winter without any disasters or break-outs this year. It snowed a lot, as it usually does, but the fence managed to stand up the whole winter.

The cats went into hibernation mode as they usually do when it gets very cold. I managed to get a few of the well-insulated ones to come out for walks with me though. Here are a few pictures of Little Boy taking his daily walk with Hiro.

HiroLB4.jpg
HiroLB3.jpg
HiroLB20.jpg
HiroLB8.jpg

Here's little Sophie, picking her way delicately across the drifts.

Sophie21.jpg

As soon as it got a bit warmer we took Forest Cat in for his spring hair cut. I did a bit better than usual at keeping his fur un-matted so he kept more of his mane this time.

ForestCat71.jpg

ForestCat72.jpg

Before you knew it everything was lush and green again. Chicken enjoying the view from one of the cat trees.

Chicken30.jpg

Forest Cat by the water bowl.

ForestCat79.jpg

Fynn must be almost two now, but he is still tiny.

Fynn25.jpg

One thing I changed this year was the top part of the fence. The mesh of the deer netting is too fine so when it snows huge drifts form on top of the fence. I took the netting down and replaced it with a wire mesh that has much bigger holes in it. I also made a few more perches at the top of the fence poles. The cats can get up there, but they can't get through the wire. they seem to like having the higher perches as look-outs.
Hiro28.jpg

Henry Lee, stalking through the weeds.

Henry17.jpg

Mia, our little torbie nightmare, seems to have found herself a friend.

Mia22.jpg

She plays with Sadie sometimes.

SadieMia1.jpg

Now and again they'll almost snuggle.

SadieMia2.jpg

Sadie's best friend is still Marley. We call them Mr and Mrs Very Feral.

SadieMarley5.jpg

Here are a few members of the gang doing their early morning sun worshiping. Left to right, Freya, Button Moon, Hiro, Marley, Little Boy, Heidi, Jiro and Albert.
Group39.jpg

And here are a few more of them waiting to trip me down the stairs. Top to bottom Carpet, Mu, Sophie, Heidi, Little Boy, Twinkle and Button Moon.

Group35.jpg

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy 3 years!!! Where has the time gone. Your cats are just so photogenic! I just love seeing their pictures and your gorgeous property too.