Moving House, Taking The Colony With Me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you everyone. These three years really have flown by, haven't they?

Here's a few more pictures I wanted to share. Just as we solve the fence-collapsing-in-snow problem.....

Jiro47.jpg
Jiro46.jpg

Jiro works out that the new wire mesh is strong enough to take his weight if he jumps off the roof.

:doh:

We now have to keep the bedroom windows shut so he can't get on the roof. The cats are still out-smarting me.

:sigh:

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are smart aren't they. I have similar cat fencing surrounding my yard. A few weeks ago I had washed a rubber maid tub and had it drying on the sidewalk. Somehow my cat , Jack, realized that if he jumped from a tree branch, just so he could then bounce to the top of the tub and then to the top of a small shed leaning against a wall and from there to the roof.My son happened to see what happened and yelled out to me. I am just lucky that Jack seems to listen to me, I told him to get down and he did. Obviously I removed the tub. I always love your updates. Have you ever thought about writing a book? You write wonderfully and the story of what you have done with these cats is very powerful and positive.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE all the pictures! Whenever I see your cats traipsing around in the beautiful snow I always imagine lovely Asian flute music in the background. How amazingly lucky you and your cats are, Norachan, to live where you do. And when I say that your cats have to be some of the most fortunate on the planet, I sure don't think it's an exaggeration.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love this thread. It is one of my go to threads when I need a pick me up. I love all of Norachan Norachan 's cats. They are all so beautiful and I think it's so fantastic that so many cats from different backgrounds were able to come together to make such a wonderful family. Humans can learn a lot from them. Of course it really helps that they have such an awesome mom (and of course a very supportive and understanding dad) taking care of them. :clap2: :heartshape:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for all the nice comments.

:blush:

I was planning to update at the end of last year, but look, it's almost the end of February already and I'm only just getting around to it. I'm sorry, there are going to be a lot of pictures in this post.

2017 was a good year. We had a very hot, wet summer but there were no major disasters. The new fence topper still doesn't keep Button in, but it looks much better than the saggy old netting did.
Catfence9.jpg

We had a tree down when one of the typhoons went through, but I noticed it before any of them escaped.
Garden78.jpg

It wasn't too much trouble to fix, once we'd got the tree off the fence.
Garden79.jpg

Henry Lee protesting about not being able to escape that way.
Henry20.jpg

The stump has become a favourite scratching post.
Henry21.jpg
Henry22.jpg

Happy.
Happy73.jpg

A few more pictures from summer. Button Moon.
Button52.jpg

Fynn and Chicken hiding under one of the giant ferns.
ChickenFynn1.jpg

Forest Cat looking very regal.
ForestCat88.jpg

Freya.
Freya38.jpg

A few of the gang enjoying outdoor blankie time.
Group49.jpg

Little Boy has actually lost some weight this year. He's now down to 7.6 kilos. Just a shadow of his former self......
LittleBoy43.jpg

Marley.
Marley25.jpg

Sadie on her own little deck.
Sadie8.jpg

One thing I got involved in over the summer was helping a neighbour TNR a colony of cats that she had been feeding. They were only a couple of miles away from us, so it was easy enough to go down and help her trap them.
Ariie15.jpg
Ariie16.jpg

They were all quite healthy, although a couple of them had no tails at all. The colony were eventually relocated to a private rescue, where they are being taken good care of.
Ariie13.jpg

A few of our other neighbours.
Deer24.jpg
Deer28.jpg
Lizard2.jpg
Lizard3.jpg

At the end of the summer we made sure we cut down any dead trees and lopped off loads of branches that looked like they might come down in the snow. Here's Mr Husband putting his mountain climbing skills to good use.
Garden76.jpg

The next exciting event was a friend finding a litter of kittens that had either been orphaned or abandoned. He managed to catch them all and brought them up to us.
NewKittens21.jpg

They were so tiny, but very healthy. They soon started coming out of their cage to play.
NewKittens27.jpg
NewKittens50.jpg

Because they were found in October I gave them all Halloween themed names. This little girl is Tricky.
NewKittens64.jpg

Her sister, Spider.
NewKittens65.jpg

Jack, the only boy
NewKittens67.jpg

Spooky.
NewKittens80.jpg

They got on really well with the other cats. Freya in particular was very fond of them.
NewKittens171.jpg

Chicken, pretending they're not there.
NewKittens189.jpg

It was so much fun having kittens around again. However, feeding another four hungry mouths, as well as paying for blood tests, vaccines and everything else kittens need was pretty expensive. As they were all so friendly and healthy we decided it would be better if we found new homes for them.

When they were about 4 months old we surrendered them to a Cat Cafe. They were all spayed, neutered, vaccinated and put up for adoption. I hope they're all in their new homes by now.

NewKittens210.jpg

Then it was winter again.
Snow30.jpg

We haven't had huge amounts of snow this year, which has been nice. Here's Jiro and Button checking out the first few flakes.
JiroButton1.jpg

Staying indoors is proving to be a popular pastime. Lizzie on the Cat Highway.
Lizzie22.jpg

Lizzie's sister, Freya, is filling out nicely. This was her when she first moved up here about 2 years ago.
Freya17.jpg

This is Freya now.
Freya34.jpg

Freya, Lizzie and The Mu.
FreyaLizzie9.jpg

We got our kotatsu working this year. A kotatsu is a low table with a built-in heater. You unscrew the table top, drape a blanket over, put the top back on and "voila!" A heated cat cave. Little Boy has barely left the thing in the past few months.
LittleBoy38.jpg
LittleBoy42.jpg

Little Boy and Heidi, one of his lady friends
LittleBoyHeidi8.jpg

So, that's our update. Thanks for reading and taking the time to look through all the pictures.
Group48.jpg

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the nice comments.

:blush:

I was planning to update at the end of last year, but look, it's almost the end of February already and I'm only just getting around to it. I'm sorry, there are going to be a lot of pictures in this post.

2017 was a good year. We had a very hot, wet summer but there were no major disasters. The new fence topper still doesn't keep Button in, but it looks much better than the saggy old netting did.
View attachment 219462
We had a tree down when one of the typhoons went through, but I noticed it before any of them escaped.
View attachment 219463
It wasn't too much trouble to fix, once we'd got the tree off the fence.
View attachment 219464
Henry Lee protesting about not being able to escape that way.
View attachment 219465
The stump has become a favourite scratching post.
View attachment 219466 View attachment 219467
Happy.
View attachment 219468
A few more pictures from summer. Button Moon.
View attachment 219469
Fynn and Chicken hiding under one of the giant ferns.
View attachment 219470
Forest Cat looking very regal.
View attachment 219471
Freya.
View attachment 219472
A few of the gang enjoying outdoor blankie time.
View attachment 219473

Little Boy has actually lost some weight this year. He's now down to 7.6 kilos. Just a shadow of his former self......
View attachment 219474
Marley.
View attachment 219475
Sadie on her own little deck.
View attachment 219476
One thing I got involved in over the summer was helping a neighbour TNR a colony of cats that she had been feeding. They were only a couple of miles away from us, so it was easy enough to go down and help her trap them.
View attachment 219477 View attachment 219478
They were all quite healthy, although a couple of them had no tails at all. The colony were eventually relocated to a private rescue, where they are being taken good care of.
View attachment 219479
A few of our other neighbours.
View attachment 219481 View attachment 219482 View attachment 219483 View attachment 219484
At the end of the summer we made sure we cut down any dead trees and lopped off loads of branches that looked like they might come down in the snow. Here's Mr Husband putting his mountain climbing skills to good use.
View attachment 219485
The next exciting event was a friend finding a litter of kittens that had either been orphaned or abandoned. He managed to catch them all and brought them up to us.
View attachment 219486
They were so tiny, but very healthy. They soon started coming out of their cage to play.
View attachment 219487 View attachment 219488
Because they were found in October I gave them all Halloween themed names. This little girl is Tricky.
View attachment 219489
Her sister, Spider.
View attachment 219490
Jack, the only boy
View attachment 219491
Spooky.
View attachment 219492
They got on really well with the other cats. Freya in particular was very fond of them.
View attachment 219493
Chicken, pretending they're not there.
View attachment 219494
It was so much fun having kittens around again. However, feeding another four hungry mouths, as well as paying for blood tests, vaccines and everything else kittens need was pretty expensive. As they were all so friendly and healthy we decided it would be better if we found new homes for them.

When they were about 4 months old we surrendered them to a Cat Cafe. They were all spayed, neutered, vaccinated and put up for adoption. I hope they're all in their new homes by now.

View attachment 219495

Then it was winter again.
View attachment 219496
We haven't had huge amounts of snow this year, which has been nice. Here's Jiro and Button checking out the first few flakes.
View attachment 219497
Staying indoors is proving to be a popular pastime. Lizzie on the Cat Highway.
View attachment 219498
Lizzie's sister, Freya, is filling out nicely. This was her when she first moved up here about 2 years ago.
View attachment 219499
This is Freya now.
View attachment 219500
Freya, Lizzie and The Mu.
View attachment 219501
We got our kotatsu working this year. A kotatsu is a low table with a built-in heater. You unscrew the table top, drape a blanket over, put the top back on and "voila!" A heated cat cave. Little Boy has barely left the thing in the past few months.
View attachment 219502 View attachment 219503
Little Boy and Heidi, one of his lady friends
View attachment 219504
So, that's our update. Thanks for reading and taking the time to look through all the pictures.
View attachment 219512
Thanks for the pictures, it’s so fun to see your beautiful cats looking so happy!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Last i remember you had 20 something cats. Maybe under 25. How many do you have now?
Hi Kittyluv387,

No newbies. I had 26 this time last year, but the litter of 4 foster kittens all went to Cat Cafes. One has found her forever home already.

I keep meaning to update this thread with more pictures but I've been crazy busy lately.

(Kind of hoping some more kittens find their way here, it was fun having so many tiny furries running around the place.)

;)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love this thread SO much. I come back and look through it when I am feeling sad. It always makes me smile. Seeing all these beautiful cats from such different backgrounds come together to make such an amazing family is so fantastic. It doesn't hurt that they have two incredible humans as their caregivers though. Those cats know exactly how lucky they are. :cloud9: :hugs: :heartshape: