Moving House, Taking The Colony With Me.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What beautiful, lucky kitties!

Your visitor has quite a lovely haram there. Fingers crossed the chicken broth works to trap him, so he can hopefully become part of the gang.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just love seeing your pictures and all of your happy kitties.  You have just the perfect set up.

marian100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Brilliant photo's of your cat kingdom..... and of the cat's of course, what a random collection of beautiful beasties you have.

queenof3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi @pocho

Our old address was in the middle of the village. The neighbours had been leaving food out for the feral cats for years before we moved in. I TNR'd as many as the cats as I could, think there was possibly one female and two males that I missed, and rehomed all the adoptable kittens. The cats I left behind were the ones that my neighbours had been feeding before I moved into the area, plus three 2 year old cats that were too wild and wary to be caught again after being TNR'd the first time. About 9 cats in all.

The neighbours are still feeding them and they have a couple of barns and a derelict house to sleep in. I go back there about twice a week to give them some extra food and check that everyone is still OK.

I'm sure that going from 30+ cats down to 9 probably created a bit of a vacuum, but hopefully not too much.

One of the neighbour's teenage son's has taken on the task of trapping the one remaining female. He's got my phone number, I've promised to help with transporting and to pay for the cost of the spay if he manages to catch her. I never could, she saw me trap her sister and a few of her first litter of kittens and realised I wasn't to be trusted.

:lol3:  
I know you posted this a while ago but I just read it and I wanted to say that I'm so happy ppl like you exist. You're such a kind soul. You inspire with your energy, commitment, and tireless efforts.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ah- I spent all day searching for this post! Like kittychick I read this on those days when it seems bleak and like people are not good.

When I read this and see the pictures I remember you are proof of goodness in the world. Now I have the strength to keep trying .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello.

I thought it was time for another update. We've been here for just over a year now.

We've made a few modifications to the fence. This was the original version. The overhang wasn't long enough to stop Button Moon climbing out.

I tried to extend it using gardening poles, but that was too weak. He just pulled it all down.
This is the latest version, reinforced with wood.

Dare I say it.....it seems to have worked! Button hasn't been able to climb out since we finished it.

There have been other escape attempts though.... :doh:

We've also built an outdoor climbing tree from an old table and some recycled fence posts. They really love this.

Freya, who used to be part of the colony, moved to join another colony and then came back again, has settled in really well. I though we might have problems as she'd been gone for 10 months, but the others just sniffed her and went "Oh, your back". She's now joined the huddle that pushes me out of bed every morning.

Happy, our latest addition, is still quiet shy around the others, so she has her own private corner of the enclosure.

Some of the rest of the gang.

Button Moon.

Chicken

Forest Cat, getting fluffy again after his haircut.

Heidi, showing off her double chin.

Sadie.

Twinkle.

Marley. the wildest of the wild.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love reading your updates.  Your cats are the luckiest cats on the planet!!!  I love love love the outdoor cat tree.  I have been wanting to make something for one of my ferals who is a tree dweller, but we have not yet built anything.  I am showing this to DH for sure!! 

Your kitties are just beautiful. 

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Dare I say it.....it seems to have worked! Button hasn't been able to climb out since we finished it.

We've also built an outdoor climbing tree from an old table and some recycled fence posts. They really love this.

how do you keep your cats from climbing from the cat tree onto a real tree and from there to other trees and then outside?

Freya, who used to be part of the colony, moved to join another colony and then came back again, has settled in really well. I though we might have problems as she'd been gone for 10 months, but the others just sniffed her and went "Oh, your back". She's now joined the huddle that pushes me out of bed every morning.

Happy, our latest addition, is still quiet shy around the others, so she has her own private corner of the enclosure.

Button Moon.

Chicken

this one reminds me of Carpet and what color is HER fur these days?

this one sure is a beauty

Sadie.

Twinkle.

Did the boy who was hanging around outside the fence and attracting all the girls ever come inside to stay?

How many are in your colony now? They sure are a lucky bunch.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the boy who was hanging around outside the fence and attracting all the girls ever come inside to stay?

How many are in your colony now? They sure are a lucky bunch.
I was wondering about that feline Casanova too and if he was still hanging around

They really are a beautiful and fortunate bunch. 

Last edited:

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello.

I thought it was time for another update. We've been here for just over a year now. 
:wow:  

The fence has gone through several modifications. It started of with just a short over hanging part. Button Moon soon managed to get over this, so I tried extending the netting and supporting it with gardening wire, as in the second picture. No good, he just hung on it until the wire gave and hauled himself over the top. So next we tried adding longer wooden arms and supporting beams to keep the net up.

:woohoo:

There have been other escape attempts though......

Button Moon.

Chicken

Sadie.

Twinkle.

. I wonder if Marley has Siamese in him he is slightly cross eyed!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a WONDERFUL update!! FAB pictures!! My gosh, you take amazing pics here!!  

I would bet Marley has a streak of Siamese in him with those eyes......

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I just love a @Norachan update.  Gorgeous shots and gorgeous kitties in their own little feline utopia.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan, I am completely in love with your cat colony. They all look so fat and pampered. Are you sure you don't run a cat spa? [emoji]128522[/emoji] The hot summers and snowy winters don't seem to phase them much!

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, so impressive, I have been absent on TCS due to having to study for a big exam, but I saw your post title in an email and had to check it out.  Amazing! (and very lucky for those kitties).

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for all the nice comments.

I know of at least 2 other pointed blue-eyed feral toms. One of them gets fed very close to the place I found Happy, he could be her dad. She has yellow eyes but I guess you could describe her colouring as calico point. (If there is such a thing.)

@misterwhiskers  Maybe I should open a mountain resort for pampered cats and their owners.