Moving House, Taking The Colony With Me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That sounds a lot like our old place. We had a shared front yard that the neighbours used to keep a shed in. I think a catio attached to the house would work better.

That nylon netting is really strong! It's designed to keep boar out of vegetable gardens so it's very hard to tear. If you get some wood to make a frame you could use either nylon net or chicken wire to cover it. The cats will climb it, but if you put a roof on the catio it will be fine.

basscat basscat has made an amazing catio, he has a pretty amazing cat to go in it too.

Shane Kent Shane Kent is really good at making things, he could probably give you some advice too.

Start a thread when you're ready to plan your catio an I'm sure you'll get loads of help.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
@Solcita
Make sure you research the kind of glue and wood you use. You want to use Low VOC products. There is glue in plywood so not only the carpet and carpet glue you use but the wood products as well. You want to use products that give off as little chemical gases as possible because they can be harmful to cats as well as people. Some cats and people are more susceptible than others. Not only can they make a cat sick there is a good chance if there is a stinky chemical smell the cat won't use it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello, I thought it was time for another update. Winter has been so warm this year! Usually January and February are like this;

Fence2.jpg
Snow63.jpg

This year it's been like this.
Group74_R.jpg

:bliss::cloud9::bliss::cloud9::bliss::cloud9::bliss:

So, as I don't have any tales of collapsed fences and lost cats to tell, here are some pictures of the cats enjoying the early spring sunshine.

Albert.
Albert45_R.jpg
Sophie
Sophie38_R.jpg
Carpet on her favourite perch.
Carpet64_R.jpg
Carpet69_R.jpg
Flying Carpet!
Carpet65_R.jpg
A perfect landing.
Carpet66_R.jpg

Chicken.
Chicken44_R.jpg
The Mu.
Mu72_R.jpg
Marley.
Marley31_R.jpg

Fynn on the top and Carpet inside
CarpetFynn2_R.jpg

Happy, Little Boy, Heidi and Marley.
Group76_R.jpg
Happy.
Happy88_R.jpg

Susy in the Tree House.
Susy23.jpg

Twinkle.
Twinkle34.jpg

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just love seeing your clan! Also so happy to see a picture of sweet Happy! She has changed so much!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SO good to see the clan! LOVE the pix!!!!! And when it's time to put me in a home....can I ask to be sent to your compound instead? :p

I'm a Twinkle, Carpet and Chicken fan! (I love them all - - -but can you tell I have a soft spot for LH kitties?

And BTW - - - I'm stealing the name "Carpet" next time we have a foster kitten group (I can see it now: 'little Carpet plays with siblings Berber, Plush, and Shag - - the one that acts like a randy little bugger' :flail:).

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What great photos! Such a beautiful spot for all these beautiful kitties! I went back and re-read a few pages of postings from 2014 when you were in the process of moving the whole gang. You have done such an amazing job!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
so happy to see a picture of sweet Happy! She has changed so much!
Thank you! I'm really pleased with how well she is doing. She's great pals with Little Boy, he takes good care of her.

Love carpets landing pic with the tongue out.
:p I'm always amazed by how well the little bob-tail cats can jump and climb. Those short little legs don't slow them down at all.

when it's time to put me in a home....can I ask to be sent to your compound instead?
Of course! You can come and help me scoop litter boxes any time. ;)

I'm stealing the name "Carpet" next time we have a foster kitten group
You're welcome. I have a list of potential names for future fosters too. I think Shag Pile would be a great name for a cat. :lol:

Such a beautiful spot for all these beautiful kitties!
Thank you! I can't quite believe we've been here for almost five years now. :blush:

Absolutely spectacular.
:touched:I'm touched.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you have done, the scale, is extraordinary. :worship:

I am envious now. I had a kitten show up today and there is no room for it here. It makes me want a big place so I can just take them in and sleep well for it. Tonight will be somewhat sleepless for lack of a solution for this adorable kitten.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you kittypa kittypa

I'm worried about that kitten too. I've found it's better to grab them first and worry about how to re-home them later. Even if you have to keep them in a crate or a carrier for a while it's better than being out on the streets.

Please keep us updated on how things go.

:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
That sounds a lot like our old place. We had a shared front yard that the neighbours used to keep a shed in. I think a catio attached to the house would work better.

That nylon netting is really strong! It's designed to keep boar out of vegetable gardens so it's very hard to tear. If you get some wood to make a frame you could use either nylon net or chicken wire to cover it. The cats will climb it, but if you put a roof on the catio it will be fine.

basscat basscat has made an amazing catio, he has a pretty amazing cat to go in it too.

Shane Kent Shane Kent is really good at making things, he could probably give you some advice too.

Start a thread when you're ready to plan your catio an I'm sure you'll get loads of help.
basscat basscat , is that a real cat? How big is it?

Flchristi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think this is a great thing you are doing. When reading it I couldn't help but try to picture the home and setup. It sounds like a nice comfortable place. In order to have all the cats be able to come in and out safely a cat door would be ideal. I kept thinking though that maybe if your home is off the ground enough you could wrap it with a mesh fence to keep critters from getting out and maybe installing or have someone install a cat door in the floor that would allow them to not only go out but the home would also serve as shelter? This area could still be open to part or all of your yard?? I'm not sure how to seperate your baby that likes to be alone but I'm sure somewhere in all of these comments you've recieved some great tips. I also think the remaining cats that you can't trap will be more than happy to stay where they are as long as your neighbors are going to keep feeding therm in your absence. Best of luck to all of you

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Flchristi Flchristi Thank you for your comments.

Actually we've been living here for almost five years now. We installed a cat door and the cats all come in and out as they please. They're much tamer than they were when I first started this thread, more like semi-feral than feral cats now.

Mia, the cat that doesn't like others, had her own room for a while but she gradually got used to sharing the space with the others. Now she comes and goes around the house and enclosure without any problem.

There's still a bit of hissing if anyone gets too close to her, but the others understand that she needs her space and back off.

I brought up two more cats from the old address after the first big move. Unfortunately the rest were all a bit too wild to re-trap, but as far as I know they are still living as field and barn cats and getting fed by the locals.

Flchristi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's really great. I'm a newbie here at the cat site and was just reading articles. Yours struck me. I suppose I should learn to check dates lol. It was nice to read what your plans were though and now to hear how out all worked out. I'm glad everyone's getting along. I think any home with more than one cat is bound to hear some hissing and even tumbles every now and then