Moving Feral Cats

Rescuekitties9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My family and I have an opportunity to buy a house on land contract. We have 2 feral cats.. Both spayed females. The house is considerably close to a main road where cats get hit all the time. I don't want to leave them behind though.. We are not the only caretakers in the area, there are several people who feed/fix the ferals in the area. I just don't feel right leaving, even though I would speak to a neighbor and tell them what was going on. I'm sure the cats eat up the road too, I just don't want to leave them is all. They could not be tamed, it has already been attempted :( one was released here the other was born in the area. What if whoever moves in doesn't want them around? What if they get shot?? Should I consider bringing them with me? I'm a board member on a cat rescue that focuses heavily on ferals. I feel like I'll be like the people I dislike :( what should I do? I want to be happy about this move but I simply can't bs

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried bringing them inside? It's much easier to tame them inside, if you have an extra room.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to trap them and bring them with you; however, they will need to be confined to a bedroom or garage for a good month or they will try to find their way back to the old neighborhood.

Your best bet would be to bring them in soon to start the process.

I would not leave them behind.

Is it the new house that's near a busy road? All the more reason to keep them inside and/or fence in the new yard.

marie846

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently moved a small colony of 6 strays because I couldn't bear to leave them behind. They depended on me, as I'm sure your 2 depend on you. Are you moving within the same city, or far away? My move was close by. We built an enclosure in the backyard of the new house. It was big enough for the six of them to move around in comfortably. I fed them canned food at the same times as before the move. The canned food encourages them to stay. I kept them in there for 4 weeks so that they could acclimate to the new area. I made sure to give them lots of love and treats! After the 4 weeks, I opened the door and let them out. That was the hardest part. They have stayed, and seem happy. If you can't bring them inside to tame them, this might be an option for you. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. We just used chicken wire and garden mesh attached to 1X2's. Just make sure that there are no gaps for escape. Good luck, and keep us updated. :bigeyes: :blackcat2: :bicolorcat: :creampersian: :silver: :whitecat:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They could not be tamed, it has already been attempted
Rescuekitties9 Rescuekitties9 - Could you elaborate a bit upon how it was attempted? In my own (admittedly limited) experience, all feral cats are just housecats who haven't yet found an home. My last pair took the longest to "tame" - just under two years of working with them several hours a day - but the reward outweighs the work involved.

That having been said, no cat can ever really be completely tamed (except for Gibbs - basscat basscat 's Bobcat); the best that we can do is to be their Friends, and hope that they don't ask to borrow the lawnmower, the chainsaw or the tractor like my worthless veterinarian.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have the room, please take them with you. I moved my two ferals with us to NC and brought them inside. It took some time but they have each adjusted.

One thing I wish I had been able to do here was build them an enclosure. They were used to theirs in NJ and happy as outside, protected cats. I simply could not afford to build another one here. Perhaps that could be your solution - it does not have to be elaborate. Something to keep them safe and sheltered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rescuekitties9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rescuekitties9 Rescuekitties9 - Could you elaborate a bit upon how it was attempted? In my own (admittedly limited) experience, all feral cats are just housecats who haven't yet found an home. My last pair took the longest to "tame" - just under two years of working with them several hours a day - but the reward outweighs the work involved.

That having been said, no cat can ever really be completely tamed (except for Gibbs - basscat basscat 's Bobcat); the best that we can do is to be their Friends, and hope that they don't ask to borrow the lawnmower, the chainsaw or the tractor like my worthless veterinarian.
They were brought in for several months and we attempted to tame them. They are multi generation ferals

Rescuekitties9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have the room, please take them with you. I moved my two ferals with us to NC and brought them inside. It took some time but they have each adjusted.
One thing I wish I had been able to do here was build them an enclosure. They were used to theirs in NJ and happy as outside, protected cats. I simply could not afford to build another one here. Perhaps that could be your solution - it does not have to be elaborate. Something to keep them safe and sheltered.
I'm moving just across town (15ish minutes away) there is a very busy road close to the home. I want to take them but I don't want them to get hit :(

Rescuekitties9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Do you think they'd be happy with an enclosure?

Rescuekitties9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently moved a small colony of 6 strays because I couldn't bear to leave them behind. They depended on me, as I'm sure your 2 depend on you. Are you moving within the same city, or far away? My move was close by. We built an enclosure in the backyard of the new house. It was big enough for the six of them to move around in comfortably. I fed them canned food at the same times as before the move. The canned food encourages them to stay. I kept them in there for 4 weeks so that they could acclimate to the new area. I made sure to give them lots of love and treats! After the 4 weeks, I opened the door and let them out. That was the hardest part. They have stayed, and seem happy. If you can't bring them inside to tame them, this might be an option for you. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. We just used chicken wire and garden mesh attached to 1X2's. Just make sure that there are no gaps for escape. Good luck, and keep us updated. :bigeyes: :blackcat2: :bicolorcat: :creampersian: :silver: :whitecat:
It's just across town, 15ish minutes away. Do you think they'd be happy in the enclosure?

Rescuekitties9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You need to trap them and bring them with you; however, they will need to be confined to a bedroom or garage for a good month or they will try to find their way back to the old neighborhood.

Your best bet would be to bring them in soon to start the process.

I would not leave them behind.

Is it the new house that's near a busy road? All the more reason to keep them inside and/or fence in the new yard.
The yard is fenced. I will be taking them with me. I just can't leave them :( I'm going to build a nice enclosure for them. They would be crated inside until it was safe to let them out.

Rescuekitties9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My family and I have an opportunity to buy a house on land contract. We have 2 feral cats.. Both spayed females. The house is considerably close to a main road where cats get hit all the time. I don't want to leave them behind though.. We are not the only caretakers in the area, there are several people who feed/fix the ferals in the area. I just don't feel right leaving, even though I would speak to a neighbor and tell them what was going on. I'm sure the cats eat up the road too, I just don't want to leave them is all. They could not be tamed, it has already been attempted :( one was released here the other was born in the area. What if whoever moves in doesn't want them around? What if they get shot?? Should I consider bringing them with me? I'm a board member on a cat rescue that focuses heavily on ferals. I feel like I'll be like the people I dislike :( what should I do? I want to be happy about this move but I simply can't bs
I will be taking them with me! Thank you everyone

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Rescuekitties9 Rescuekitties9

Please take them with you if you can. I moved a colony of over 20 cats when I moved house a few years ago. About half of them couldn't be handled and had to be re-trapped. The rest I could pick up and put into carriers. The very wild ones are much tamer now. It's taken three years but I can pet all of them and pick up most of them.

Here's the thread about moving the cats.

Moving House, Taking The Colony With Me.

It's very long, but take a look at the pictures. It might give you some ides for building an enclosure.

We're always happy to see pictures of enclosures, if you need advice about building one you'll get plenty here.

;)

marie846

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's just across town, 15ish minutes away. Do you think they'd be happy in the enclosure?
Mine were after the the first few days, however, they were were also very happy for their freedom after I released them. Just make sure you keep them in there for at least 4 weeks. That way, they are sure of where to come for their food. If you plan to keep them in the enclosure indefinitely, it will need to be fairly large, with things to climb and perch on. I also used used a solution called Safe Space for Cats from Jackson Galaxy. He also has one called Feral Flower. Then there is Feliway. Any of these would help. I put a few drops on their upper backs a few times a day. It really made a difference! I am so happy that you are taking them with you! :kneading: Best of luck to you!!

Last edited:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Gibs was never feral though.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, no - of course not. Gibbs has always been simply a sweet fluffy domestic kitty with inch long teeth and a twelve foot standing leap - who just happens to eat recliners.
Not that either. He was just never feral. He's had people since before he could see.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you think they'd be happy with an enclosure?
Most assuredly. Mine had plenty of room and never had to worry about other cats in the neighborhood bullying them. Unfortunately, there were plenty - the result of an irresponsible neighbor. I fixed and found homes for at least 54 of them and another neighbor fixed 45 and kept them in her colony. That didn't count the ones who were hit on the busy road.

Kudos to you for taking them with you! Cats like routine - it gives them security. So once they are settled into their new digs, they will be very happy.