Moving Cross Country

skidittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I might be accepting a job in Colorado (I am in Minnesota).

I have a 14 year old spayed cat that will definitely be coming with me. Driving is about 15 hours and she really really hates the car.

What are my options? Has anyone else done this and if so, how?

Any other tips?

Thank you so much!

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Set the carrier up so that an air conditioning vent blows through the front door. Take several spare towels to swap out...more if you put any water in with her because she will knock it over. She might not want to eat on the road, but put some food in there in case she does want it--I think they feel better knowing it's there.

Also, figure on getting takeout for meals on the road, and on taking your bathroom breaks in pet stores or highway rest stops (places where you can bring the carrier) rather than gas stations, because animals left in cars can overheat so easily.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck to you, I am about to do this as well. Moving from Washington state to Michigan state and leaving this monday.

It will be hectic because I have no AC. If you have no AC either I suggest buying a fan that plugs into your lighter and setting it up to blow towards her carrier.

Also some Feliway spray or some Calm Down for cats may help on the trip. I've never personally tried Feliway, but I have had good results with Calm Down with my cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skidittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you - I have never heard of Feliway or Calm Down. I will research these.

Has anyone ever flown a cat? I am looking at the option that is most easy on HER. She has recently been diagnosed with IBD. There is still a possibility we are looking at lymphoma.

Fortunately, with her new food, her bowel movements have returned to the box and she is no longer vomiting.

But I won't know until the end of the month if she will continue to lose weight (a 1/2 a lb last month!!!).

I'm not meaning to hijack my own thread.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Sphynx came from North Carolina to California on a plane wth no problems.
You need to have a Rabies Cert to fly and get the cat signed off at the vet saying its ok.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since she has IBD and perhaps Lymphoma I would check with your vet first to see if it is okay to use a remedy like Calm Down, I don't see the harm but better safe than sorry.

Also, I think that flying your cats is a more traumatic experience than just bringing them along with you. Only you know the specific needs and wants of your cat and the airline isn't going to take as good of care of her as you would.

Yes she will be frazzled, but you could also look into seeing if your vet can perhaps perscribe a small sedative for you to give to your cat during the trip. This way you know it will work rather then praying that Feliway or Calm Down will be successful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skidittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the advice. I did not get the job, so I will not be moving...

darren7481

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is an old pic, Morty is now all grown up:)
what were the pet-crate specs & ultimate total of shots required (to be displayed on paper w/your cat's crate)? I've watched a few 'how-to's' online, but they're all posted by

the folks selling the 'certified to fly crates'.  I have three moody Siamese mutts to ship from AZ to GA. I want it to be smooth for them, no delays because I screwed up! I also

want them to be sedated just enough that the trip isn't traumatic.

I have one calico outdoor kitty that will make the long arduous drive w/me across country when I move (simply because if I shipped her w/my indoor kitties, she'd be one of those cats that walks 3000 miles back 'home')! If she rides with me she'll know we're home when we arrive together:)

The indoors will have an interim wk long stay with my parents & pre-shipped personal toys, etc., SO spoiled!

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The advantage of flying is that it's over quickly.

The disadvantage is that the cat either needs to be in carry-on luggage, which means flying with a human, or in the cargo hold, which is un-pressurized.

If you're going to drive with your cat, ask your vet about a sedative.  And plan on making frequent stops totally away from traffic, where the cat can use the great outdoors as a litter box; some cats refuse to use a litter box in the car.

Margret