Moving countries, how should I go about this with my cat?

CorynM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I’m moving to Japan in January for work. I have a 5 month old kitten named Jiji who I will be taking with me, but not right away.
Unfortunately, due to Japan’s animal import laws and guidelines, Jiji would have to be held in an animal quarantine facility for around three months if I were to bring him in January. I just can’t do that to him, it’s not fair to him at all to isolate him like that for so long in an unfamiliar place.
Instead, I’ll be bringing him with me after visiting home in May. By that time, the blood test waiting period will be up and, as long as all of the paperwork is in order, he won’t have to quarantine at all.
However, I’m a little worried about leaving him for so long. He’ll be staying with my mom, who I currently already live with and who Jiji absolutely loves, but I’m still a bit worried. I don’t want him to think that I’m abandoning him, but it’s the only way to avoid the quarantine, which would be so much worse for him than just staying home for a few months.
Does anyone have any advice as to how I can make those few months easier on him and how I can try to lessen the impact of me leaving for so long?
D8367BF1-18F2-4E9F-9F0F-CD810664D883.jpeg

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can leave things with your smell, you can talk to him on the phone and video.

When I was younger, we became at risk for homelessness, and a friend kept Nobel and our late cat Lily for 6 months. We were able to visit, which of course you couldn't do, but we also just called to check in frequently (and provided for them financially of course).

Jiji will be happy to be home with you later. Just explain to him what's happening. And PS. He's super cute! ❣

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
How soon will you be leaving?
If you have enough time, collect some well used unlaundered t-shirts and stash them in some ziplock bags. Then your mom can pull one out every few days so he can associate your scent.

Also, even though electronics tend to distort our voices a bit, video calls can be helpful; he might not get it right away, so maybe a few practice sessions before you leave.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Jiji would have to be held in an animal quarantine facility for around three months if I were to bring him in January. I just can’t do that to him, it’s not fair to him at all to isolate him like that for so long in an unfamiliar place.
I completely agree! :agree: I could not bring myself to do that either. Jiji will be much happier in his home and familiar surroundings with your mom. I would let her know your usual routine with him, e.g. feeding schedule and times, what toys he likes to play with, litter box habits, etc. Keep everything the same just as if you were there even where he likes to sleep. I'm glad you figured out a way to avoid the quarantine in May when you can bring him back with you.:lovecat: Best of luck!