Moving, but no one will take my cat

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Khayos

Many farmers will take another cat, at least in my area.
That's true, some will. Many cats lives have been saved this way. The problem is that often the farmers just turn the cats loose, expecting them to know that the farm is where they're supposed to stay now. The cats obviously don't understand and are frightened, so they take off and become lost in a place they're totally unfamiliar with, without food and shelter.

The farmer has to be willing to go through the process of relocation, which means keeping the cats confined in a barn, for example. The cats need to be kept there for at least 3 weeks, and be fed on a regular basis so they understand the feeding schedule. The cats should be able to see out of a window so that the area becomes familiar to them and they make the connection between food source and building/area.

Progressiveman1, if you haven't already done this, do a Google search, "cat rescue Charlotte NC". You'll see a good number of organizations listed that you can contact. Please do that ASAPand make sure to both call and e-mail each one. Remember that because the majority of these are staffed with volunteers, it may take some of them up to 2 days to get back to you, so there's no time to waste.

Please let us know how it's going.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Where are you living now? Maybe we can better pinpoint potential rescue groups for you.

Edited to add: Sorry, I see you already answered that.

bonnie perreira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you absolutely can't take the cat,  search for rescue groups in your area.  Where is this?   Humane Society is usually full.  Rescue groups do better. 

Never give up on helpless pet.  Try finding cat friendly  rental where you are going.  Try ads, sitting with cat by busy stores, etc.  Hope you have time to try these things.  Last minute is hardest to help.  Bonnie

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If you absolutely can't take the cat,  search for rescue groups in your area.  Where is this?   Humane Society is usually full.  Rescue groups do better. 

Never give up on helpless pet.  Try finding cat friendly  rental where you are going.  Try ads, sitting with cat by busy stores, etc.  Hope you have time to try these things.  Last minute is hardest to help.  Bonnie
This post is from 2008.  I am sure the situation has been resolved.

Maozer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm in the same nightmare- except I'm in China moving back to the U.S. I looked for two months. No one will take my Maoser and Golden Cat.
But I disagree adamantly with you all who think putting your friend 'to sleep' (i.e., having it killed) is the humane way to go. Better your cat has a fighting struggle at life than to be taken down for no reason. The struggle to survive is the basis for life. Our cats have claws and hunter instincts. No one, I mean I REALLY DON'T want to leave my cat, wants to leave their friend but what are we supposed to do. I keep looking. But I won't have my cats killed!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They should make it easier & more affordable to move overseas with cats. I decided not to move after reading all the complicated things I would have to do and the expense, many thousands of dollars. :(