Moving And We Want To Take Parker With Us.

parkermom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't been on since 2016 and Parker is doing real well, he's a fat boy now. But I want to refresh everyone about who Parker is.
We live in an apartment and TNR a few cats in our complex. One of the adopted us, we named him Parker. He loves our dog and us. He eats inside, spends a lot of time inside and sleeps between u s. But he still wants outside, he is not litter trained.
We are moving, buying a house and we do want to take him with us, but are real concerned with the adjustment he'll have - we'll have. He is very vocal and when he wants out.
Our plan is to keep him in an empty room with several litter boxes and to put some things in there like a chair he's familiar with etc.
But we are real concerned, can you help us know the right course of action?

TheCatMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he’s so beautiful! i think that’s a great idea to transition him with familiar items and such. maybe try to use a room with a view so he can still see the outdoors? and try to keep him stimulated with toys and such so he won’t feel as drawn to going outside, since he’s got plenty to do inside. as for litter training, i’m not that familiar with it as all of mine seemed to know to use it? but i’ve heard of putting things that either smell like you or the cat to draw him to it. Best of luck and please keep us updated!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
parkermom parkermom ---he IS a gorgeous boy! Glad to hear he's doing so well!!!!! I'm SO glad you're not even considering leaving him there when you move (sadly, many people do). Obviously, you're all so bonded to each other - which is SO fantastic!!!

(I'm warning you - even for me - this might be long - - I apologize PROFUSELY in advance!!!!!!)

There will be some adjusting (as there would be with any animal - - - cats in particular, since they really love their routines!). But nothing that can't be overcome! And he DEFINITELY sounds worth the effort! The time to start adjusting him to things (such as being a completely indoor cat - and other changes in his environment) is doing as much as possible NOW - - versus waiting until you move (I'd even start bringing in moving boxes, so that when they appear he won't freak. He'll likely get a bit discombobulated (and perhaps cry a bit more to go outside - where things are "status quo" for him - while things are changing inside (like furniture moving, boxes coming and going,etc.) His calm, quiet home will be a little turned upside down before & after the move. But nothing a street guy like him can't handle! ;)

One of the big things I'd start working on NOW is using a litterbox inside. If you've got the time, you can transition it - otherwise, I'd go whole hog right now. Litter training can be accomplished at any age. I can vouch for that personally - my grandparents lost their farm in the mid 1980s. The people buying the house were close family friends, but really didn't want any of the barn/feral cats. One ("KK") - despite technically being feral - never got the memo he was supposed to be frightened of people. So I took KK with me when the farm was sold and I moved to my first apartment. This was MANY years ago - - long before the internet had tons of advice (like this wonderful site!) and I had no idea what I was getting myself into! KK (who, at that point was about 13-14 years old) had never worn a collar, used a litterbox, been to a vet, or for that matter, ever been inside a house!!!! The vet examined him - - his mouth was a mess & he needed all but 2 canine teeth pulled. He had every parasite possible, including tics, fleas and multiple kinds of worms. He was anemic, his ears were so filled with mites and wax that our vet said he'd never seen anything like it (he actually said he was probably deaf - - - which, once the wax etc was gone - - he definitely wasn't). His ears had made him so miserable that shaking them so severely had given him 2 "cauliflower ears" - - like boxers get (from hematomas). Our vet said that he'd advise euthanizing him immediately since it would be, at minimum, hundreds of dollars (as a poor newly graduated college kid I had none) plus he said KK would never adapt to being inside, especially the tiny 1 bedroom apartment I was getting. I can say right now without a doubt - - the decision to keep KK was one of the best things I've ever done. I swear he was so grateful, and wanted me to know it every day. KK made it through all surgeries (and transfusions, teeth removal, medication, etc.) like a champ. He became an amazing, loving, lap cat who never met a person he didn't like. He never got on the counter or the table (something I've never accomplished with any other cats since!). I couldn't afford a leash and collar, so we walked around the neighborhood with him on a collar and leash made of old shoestrings (I'm sure we looked like dorks!). But he loved it and so did I. He lived to be over 22 - made it through 3 moves - and was always the happiest, most loyal, most loving cat I've ever known. I know i saved his life - - but he also saved mine. When his time was up, I had our vet come to the home to put him to sleep, and KK laid in my arms, licking my hand and looked at me like he was saying "this is right - we've had a great run - and I'll be waiting on the other side - - you just bring the shoestrings." So needless to say - - an outside guy CAN adjust - and adjust well!!!

Litterbox wise - - I'd start by putting at least TWO boxes (if at all possible) in two places away from traffic (giving him "alone time"). I wouldn't do either as a covered box. I'd try a different litter in each - to see if he has a preference. And the big thing - -I'd go to wherever you know he uses outside as his "potty area" and get some dirt from there. Sprinkle it VERY liberally over the litter in both boxes. OR - you can even start with NO litter - just dirt and leaves from the area he loves, gradually increasing the amount of litter. When he goes to the door and cries to go out - pick him up and walk him to one of the boxes. As soon as he goes - - praise him softly but profusely. If he's got a treat he goes bonkers for - by all means give him one immediately. And know ahead of time - he WILL cry. And he may cry ALOT. If nothing else - - he'll be extra vocal as he's largely (if not 100%) Siamese -- and boy they've got lungs!! Try REALLY hard not to give in and let him outside - - because every time you do that, you're reinforcing that if he cries loud enough - - you'll give in.

The biggest reason you need to get him using a box inside and turning him into a full-time indoor cat (aside from how much safer it is)? If you let him out - - -chances are just WAY too high he'll try to find his way back to his original home area. And never find his way back. It's such a HUGE risk after all of this time loving him. It generally takes cats at least a month in a new home before they understand the new place is now "home" and the urge isn't as high to find their way to their old home.

And when you move - - if you CAN give him a room he can call his own for awhile as he adjusts, that's great! (especially since he may try to shoot out during the moving in process - - -or even early on as you all come and go). Make sure he has some things in the new house that feel JUST like the old house. Does he have a favorite blanket, or sheet, or pillow or cat bed? Give him an area that has all his old favorite smells. You can even add a radio or tv. But that's only if you feel he'll shoot out the door initially - - if possible, I'd start him off with you as much as possible. HIs sleeping with you is such a bonding thing - - - I'd hate to see you have to curtail that. I'd also add at least a 10 minute playtime minimum morning and evening - - more if possible (with things that get him really moving - like he would when he's outside). Wearing him out - and making inside FUN - will help him adjust to getting his fun from YOU guys and the inside - versus the outside world. The toys we use for that is something called "Da Bird," which really moves like a real bird (I'm not specifically endorsing this one - or Amazon - but the Amazon link below will at least show you what it looks like.) Our cats - and all of our fosters - have always LOVED the 'Cat Dancer" (someone got really rich on this one!) - - it's basically a piano wire with cardboard tubes on the end. But the way it moves just entrances them! We also use a laser pointer to get them moving - and even have trained most of our fosters to enter a cat carrier by getting them to chase a laser pointer into it!

First link is Da Bird, second link is the Cat Dancer, 3rd link is laser pointer

We've also had good luck with the toys below - - although they're not quite as "activity oriented" which will be critical for your guy for awhile I think.

The main thing is to work on the litterbox NOW....and be prepared for lots and lots of "vocal times." It's his breed - - - and he's adjusting. But I think it'll be worth listening to the yowels since you know you'll be helping him stay SAFE!!!!!

SOOO sorry so long!!!!! But I want it to work for you guys! And it absolutely CAN be done (and the vocalization WON'T last forever!). Keep us posted!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

parkermom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love your message. ❤
And thank you for it.

The things you talked about we are already planning on putting into play. (as he’s sleeping right next to me). We would have started the litter thing already, but we don’t have the room. So it’ll have to wait. I know keeping him confined will force him to use it.
I will keep you all updated.
Thank you again

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can you get him microchipped in case he gets out?
The Cat Dancer is an amazing cat toy.
I used that litter called Litter Attract and my Feral took to it right away
I did sprinkle dirt on it too at first, I don't need to use either one anymore.

parkermom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you and that is our plan to get him microchipped.
I will look into that toy and I am glad to say I have coupons for the cat attract litter.
Our goal is, if we keep him in for a month or more to acclimate him to his new home, then he stays in.

parkermom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes he is, but we'll al have to tolerate his meowing. :)
He is such a sweet boy and we'll give him tough love for his own good.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
88EC3135-2EC7-4A01-BDFE-544EC631893B.jpeg
He looks like he’s got a little or a lot of Siamese so the vocal goes with the territory. At least that’s the way our part Siamese, sassy was.

If you moving to a house, first congratulations! Then you might consider an outside cage for him with access from a door or window. These are the ones that I built for Dolly and Henry. Both of them are rescues but ALWAYS want outside. The outside structures ran about $100 to build. This one uses a window door from Amazon so the cost was a little more. Since it has some insulation and a magnetic door we can leave it open day and night or lock it closed. They can sun, view birds, etc. Just a thought. Pm me if you want more detail.

Best to build it on the back of the house....unless you can dress it up or camouflage. I didn’t. Just told the locals at the coffee shack I was going to raise hyenas....

Like everyone said, thanks for taking him with you.

parkermom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone, a million thanks for all the wonderful advice! I really appreciate it.
I will keep everyone posted on how our boy is doing.
Thank you.

parkermom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish I knew how to reply to each, I have seen each one and appreciate them all.

parkermom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone;
This is Parker this morning, making it hard for me to get out of bed. :)
I had posted previously that we were buying a house and were taking Parker with us.
Well the deal on the house didn't go through so we are staying put for now. And of course when we do move in the future, Parker will come with us.
Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice and help.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Curious if you're out of bed yet from yesterday ----i think that kinda comfy deserved a call in sick to work ;)

(SO gorgeous!!!!!)

parkermom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol. That’s an idea.