Moving And Want To Take My Feral

Rummler22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a beautiful girl cat who has been living on my deck for over a year. I previously trapped and spayed her. I thought she would run away when I released her but she stayed. Over the past year, she has become much more loving. She sits in my lap, makes biscuits, and purrs. I am moving and can not bear to leave her behind. So I’m planning on trapping her, retesting her, and hopefully bringing her inside. I have 4 other indoor cats that she has seen through a window. Does anyone have any good suggestions on making this work?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you have helped this kitty. You should be able to integrate he into your kitty family with some time and effort. I do this on a reguar basis with feral rescues that I socialize for adoption. Having met each other through a window is a start!
I begin by bringing the new cat into a separate space until she is calm and used to houshokd noises and to me. I let my cats sniff at the door and I swap out the blankets and towels they all sleep on so they are used to each other’s smells. If the gap under the door is large enough then I use a toy to have paw play going on from each side of the door. Eventually I allow a slightly open door sniffing of each other. There may be some hissing but don’t let that worry you. When the new kitty is tired of being secluded away then I move them to a large cage or carrier outside the room or I use a couple of baby gates across the door to allow a full view to everyone but provide a barrier. The crate or carrier works best for me. I find the other cats are often worried about the new cat being imprisoned and ate more likely to want me to release them.
When you do let them meet face to face you need to sit with them and guide the pace. Let everyone know it is okay, pet and maybe use a toy on a string to get them to interact in play. This all may need to be adjusted for the individuals S you go but if you keep us updated here you should get a lot of good tips and guidance from members here. TCS is. Great place to get information. I am glad you wrote in and I will folllw your thread to see how you are doing. Keep writing and good luck. It’s so great you are doing this! Welcome to thecatsite! :welcomesign:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for not abandoning your feral. I have done the above many times, more than I care to even remember, and it does work. They say that once all cats have the same house smell, they start to accept each other. I have also brushed them all with the same brush, making sure that everyone is flea free and sanitary, as it sort of spreads the scent around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rummler22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: She is refusing to go in the trap. I am now looking for suggestions on getting her. I think I might be able to just scoop her up and drop her in a top loading carrier. But if anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear them!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rummler22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s doing well!! Any tips on getting her to use the litter box?

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I was fortunate I brought two feral cats inside (brother and sister) and the first night the used the blankets. So I removed the blankets and put the litter where the blankets were. Second night was litter. I had them in an empty room with the litter on the other side from their food so not a lot of options for them. I have read of people using dirt from outside to start with. Then slowly mix litter in with the dirt. You could also try moving the litter, if you have not already, as it could be the location the cat does not like.

You can go to the article second of the website and search it for 'litter' there are some good articles. Hope you get it resolved sooner than later and congratulations on a job well done that looks like one heck of a happy indoor kitty.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great advice already given in the previous post. The only tip that I can add is that if the cat I catch is used to going in the leaves or pine straw I add some of that to the dirt, sand or litter.
Great job catching her. I am so glad she tested okay. She is gorgeous! What a sweetie! She is lucky to have you. Looks like love to me!

artesian79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on getting her caught.

I let 2 ferals come into the garage to use heated houses all winter. It's been chilly and raining a lot lately so I've left the garage door up a bit during the day now. Raccoons come in and make a terrible mess, so after dusk the cat flap and garage door have to be down.

I use litter covered with mulch and leaves that they are familiar with. They have used this. I've also added a second box of just litter and set it beside the first, but no one has wanted to stay inside overnight since that went out.

Cats look for loose material that they can scratch in. I may have been lucky over the years, but every cat I've brought home I've simply picked them up and put the in the litter box to feel it. And that takes care of the issue. I've never needed to use something like Cat Attract to draw them to the litter.

If you can still pick up the cat place her in the litter box. Since she used the blankets once before, place the litter box there at first and then begin to move it small amounts to where you'd like it.

As mentioned above, there is a product called Cat Attract that is suppose to draw them to litter. I assume it has some ammonia in it.

Keep up the good work!