moving and only allowed 1 pet

brit1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hope this is right place to post. I am not a dishonest person but I have to move to a community where only 1 pet is allowed and I have 2 cats. I am just curious if anyone else has a similar situation and has moved in with 2 cats instead of 1. These are of course indoor cats and other than often one of them at a time looking out a window from the cat tree I don't think anyone would spot them from outside (they are both same color). I do not wish to be dishonest but it would be heartbreaking to separate them as they are both seniors and they love each other. I have no other option but to move to this community sadly. thnx for any input

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on what would happen if you get caught. If you just have to pay a fine I'd say go for it, but if it'll get you evicted then you really need to think.

Do you know anyone who would take them both? May not be the best option, but at least they'd stay together and you could adopt another Cat that needs a home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brit1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thnx for response :) I guess I am hoping to hear that someone has experienced this situation with no issues and perhaps some tips. They are probably 13-14yo so unlikely to find a home for them plus I love them so much

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would you be able to post in Nextdoor, in your current neighborhood, about them? The thing of it is that you will likely have maintenance people enter your living quarters at some point to repair something, if I understand where you're moving to and unless you can effectively hide them and they won't meow, they may be discovered.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I have lived in a strictly no pets apartment with a cat. The landlord isn't allowed to enter your home without giving you notice, so when people came round to check we used to put the cat in her carrier and put her in the car. A lot of other residents had pets too, so as long as you weren't too obvious about it there weren't any problems

Another thing you could look into is getting them registered as Emotional Support Animals.

To be honest, if you are allowed one pet and the cats look alike I think you'll be able to get away with it. Most landlords can't evict you on the spot for breaking contracts. They have to give you chance to rectify the situation and then give you 30 days notice if you fail to do that.

Would it be really difficult to move to a more pet friendly apartment?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother and his roommate had 2 cats in a no-pets apartment, and never got caught. If 1 is allowed and they look alike, that's even better. And most landlords don't care that much as long as the pet isn't causing trouble. But it is best to have a backup plan just in case you get caught and the landlord decides to enforce things.

In the US, landlords have to give 24-hour notice before entering your home so you'd have time to take them for a car ride or whatever.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would too, two cats are really no worse than one. Them being geriatric, they need each other, and so do you. Go for it and if you get caught deal with it then. In the meantime, you could not totally unpack and look for a place that will allow them. if there is no damage, I think they would forgive you, or like said above, you have at least thirty days to get out. As long as pets are allowed at all, you are not totally breaking the rules, I'm sure you are paying a higher deposit for the privilege. My cats go running when company/strangers come and maybe yours will too and hide. Or put both of them in your bedroom when someone shows up, they will more than likely go under the bed, give them a box to hide in.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say keep them both. I'm not sure where you are from, but here, "no pet laws" don't hold up once you're in and are paying rent, as long as they are not a nuisance or destroy the property, regardless of what the agreed lease or contract says. And they do allow pets, so you have that on your side.
And realistically, the one pet only rule is probably in place simply to create some tenant accountability. There are some bad tenants out there who don't care what happens to where they live, because they don't own it. And most landlords are just trying to protect their investment and keep the peace between other tenants (noise, smell, etc..complaints) If you are a clean and responsible pet parent, I would bet you won't have any issues.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And realistically, the one pet only rule is probably in place simply to create some tenant accountability. There are some bad tenants out there who don't care what happens to where they live, because they don't own it. And most landlords are just trying to protect their investment and keep the peace between other tenants (noise, smell, etc..complaints) If you are a clean and responsible pet parent, I would bet you won't have any issues.
Yeah, this is exactly the reason there are no pets or one pet only rules. When you run into an animal hoarder or "backyard breeder" situation where they have 20+ animals in one place it gets trashed real quick and it can cost thousands, sometimes tens of thousands to make repairs. Depending on how bad it is some contractors will even consider it hazardous material and charge extra to clean it up because they have to wear respirator masks due to all the ammonia from urine that has soaked into walls and floors.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We were not allowed to have pets in one of our first apartments. I desperately wanted a cat and since the landlord lived in the building I asked his permission. Turns out he had no problem with it. Then we took a chance and one cat became two cats. Everything was fine until we needed to have him repair something. We were really worried especially since the second cat came out while he was working so being honest we approached the subject and he could have cared less. Phew! :sweat: In fact, he didn't even realize the second cat looked different from the first. I think because we had lived there awhile and he knew we were good tenants he was more lenient. Regardless, I would say don't split up the pair especially since they're seniors. Good luck! :goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brit1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
dear friends, cannot thank all of your enough for your kind responses. I will actually be purchasing a home in a retirement community. I really think if I am careful no-one will know I have 2 cats vs 1. I wish I didn't have the stress of worrying about it though :( i did meet someone in the community a year or so ago that said she knew of many people in there who had an extra cat (would of course not work with an extra dog lol). So will try not to be concerned. I was only concerned that they may both be looking out a window together which is not likely to happen as only one at a time gets up on the cat tree plus I can keep the blinds down fairly low so they would just peer out but their whole body wouldn't be seen. They were originally ferals that I had TNR'd and fed daily in my barn for years (also heat lamp in winter) but last year brought them in as I have to downsize and of course wouldn't leave them behind.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah it's not really their business how many cats you have inside your own home, unless it becomes problematic. My brother's trailer court tried that too. Limit was 2, they had 4. Nobody ever objected. So as long as your cats aren't out terrorizing the neighborhood, I think you'll be fine :D.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dear friends, cannot thank all of your enough for your kind responses. I will actually be purchasing a home in a retirement community. I really think if I am careful no-one will know I have 2 cats vs 1. I wish I didn't have the stress of worrying about it though :( i did meet someone in the community a year or so ago that said she knew of many people in there who had an extra cat (would of course not work with an extra dog lol). So will try not to be concerned. I was only concerned that they may both be looking out a window together which is not likely to happen as only one at a time gets up on the cat tree plus I can keep the blinds down fairly low so they would just peer out but their whole body wouldn't be seen. They were originally ferals that I had TNR'd and fed daily in my barn for years (also heat lamp in winter) but last year brought them in as I have to downsize and of course wouldn't leave them behind.
Oh, if you are buying the home then they really don't have much say over it. If you were renting or leasing then they could make the rules, but if you own it then the only way they can really complain is if your Cats are outdoors and terrorize the neighborhood.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, they kind of can, as I assume the home is on rented land (like a trailer) or under an HOA. But it is a lot harder to enforce, that's for sure.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My aunt lived in a 2 pet apartment with 3 (and sometimes 5) cats and a dog and would hide the cats whenever maintenance needed to get in. She never got caught.