Movies!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not usually a movie person, I like TV better, but lately I have been watching a few movies here and there. I went to see Prometheus in the theater.... I hated it, thought it was one of the most poorly written movies I had ever seen. Saw Cabin in the Woods about a month ago, and thought it was ok, definitely not your typical scary movie, altho it was a little too typical of Joss Whedon's work. At home I've watched Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, which I like as a movie, it left out a lot of the book, so I didn't really like it as a book adaptation, but Rooney Mara did excellent as Elisabeth Salander. Also saw Midnight in Paris, which was *ok* and then I watched We Need to Talk About Kevin last night. Kevin was a really good movie- it was one of the movies that really makes you think. Definitely not for entertainment only, but I highly recommend if you like dark, thought-provoking films.

What have you seen lately that you liked and/or hated? I wanna know what I should or shouldn't put on my Netflix queue :lol3:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sense you have Netflix, check out Saving Grace, (Holly Hunter)  (If you have'nt already). It's a cop show that was on T.V. a few yrs ago.  I watched it on Netflix last yr. & Loved it!!! I thought it was really good. I hated to get to the end.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always saw the commercials for that, it used to be right after The Closer which I love! I may have to check it out, I do like Holly Hunter

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last two movies I watched were Gunless (Paul Gross) and Red (Helen Mirren, Bruce Willis); neither are very serious movies, but Red has enough explosions and shootemups to keep me happy. A few other things you can tryL Red Dwarf (comedy), Prime Suspect (crime drama, with Helen Mirren), SIlent Witness (precursor of CSI), New Tricks (crime solving AND comedy). Yep I watch a lot of British tv

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I couldn't tell you what the last movie was that I saw. We don't watch them very often.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last two movies I watched were Gunless (Paul Gross) and Red (Helen Mirren, Bruce Willis); neither are very serious movies, but Red has enough explosions and shootemups to keep me happy. A few other things you can tryL Red Dwarf (comedy), Prime Suspect (crime drama, with Helen Mirren), SIlent Witness (precursor of CSI), New Tricks (crime solving AND comedy). Yep I watch a lot of British tv
I think I did see Red, Morgan Freeman was in that too maybe? I like him. I've been watching Masterpiece Mystery, like Wallander and Sherlock (LOVE Sherlock, btw) and Brit TV is pretty good :lol3:

I just watched Big Miracle. We ordered it on pay per view. :) It was really good but sad and based on a true story.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1430615/

I saw What to Expect When You're Expecting in theatres recently. It was cute.
I want to see Big Miracle too! might have to get that from redbox :) What to Expect is not my usual type of movie, I avoid Romantic Comedies like the plague :lol3: but it does have Joe Manganiello, so I may have to watch it :drool:

I couldn't tell you what the last movie was that I saw. We don't watch them very often.
yeah, that is usually me :nod:

Got Tiny Furniture in the mail today from Netflix, it stars and was written by Lena Dunham, the star and creator of the amazing HBO series, Girls. Seriously, if you have ever been in your 20s trying to find your way in the world and making mistakes along the way, you should watch Girls, it is absolutely hilarious!! I'll let you know how Tiny Furniture is :)

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ok, then I definitely watched it! I see everything with Morgan Freeman, even that awful Stephen King movie, Sleepwalkers :cringe:

ok, Tiny Furniture was odd, not sure if I did or didn't like it :lol3: all I got out of it was that I really REALLY hope that I was not like that in my early 20s :eek:

Found a couple movies on premium cable that I want to see, Take Shelter and The Debt, Take Shelter I saw as a preview on one of the movies I watched and The Debt I remember wanting to see when it came out

I'm like Wallander too, Sherlock was way to short also! not fair :lol3:

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw That's My Boy on Sunday. It was pretty funny if you like those type of movies. Also watched Wanderlust on the weekend...didn't like that one.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw That's My Boy on Sunday. It was pretty funny if you like those type of movies. Also watched Wanderlust on the weekend...didn't like that one.
That's My Boy is not usually my type of movie, that would be more of an "it's the only thing on TV" watch :lol3: Hmm, good to know about Wanderlust, what didn't you like about it?

Next movie is Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Main reason is that Benedict Cumberbatch, the actor who plays Sherlock in the Masterpiece series, is in it and his voice is amazing :9: that and it looks quirky and interesting :D

Oh, and almost forgot to mention, I will be seeing Magic Mike on Sunday- that one I could care less about the plot or acting, I just wanna see the guys..... dance :bigwink:

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love Red Dwarf.  I have the set of all 8 seasons with the bonus disks for each season. Of course, Cat is my favorite character.  Have you been watching the new Sherlock Holmes series on Masterpiece Mystery?

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Red Dwarf.  I have the set of all 8 seasons with the bonus disks for each season. Of course, Cat is my favorite character.  Have you been watching the new Sherlock Holmes series on Masterpiece Mystery?
Where did you get those Red Dwarf DVDs?? and did you know there is a movie as well? My fave was Dave Lister, and now Craig Charles has an on again, off again role on Coronation Street.  Yep, I did see the new season, it ran in April and now they are re-running Downton Abbey

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where did you get those Red Dwarf DVDs?? and did you know there is a movie as well? My fave was Dave Lister, and now Craig Charles has an on again, off again role on Coronation Street.  Yep, I did see the new season, it ran in April and now they are re-running Downton Abbey
You can get the set on Amazon.  I have not seen the movie, yet. 

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  I actually really liked Prometheus, I am a huge Alien-s fan and not only enjoyed the special effects but the little connections it had as a prequel to Alien.

Snow White and the Huntsman was a great twist to the original story. Awesome special effects and the Huntsman is hot!

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What type of movies do you enjoy when you do watch them?

I absolutely love movies. But my boyfriend and I are ones to wait until its available outside of the theatre to watch it. Not sure if you're looking for newer movies, or movies on Netflix specifically- but here's a list of some of my ALL TIME FAVORITES that I absolutely would recommend if you've never seen!!!

Shutter Island

Identity

Memento

Inception

Big Fish

Hostage

Se7en

Man On Fire

Lucky Number Sleven

The Others

I really love the movies where you go "WHAT THE __ NO WAY!" at the end. Surprise ending thrillers? lol. All of these are amazing.

Movies I think look interesting/good that i'd like to see that have came out this year: Snow White and the Huntsman, 21 Jump Street, Dark Shadows, The Woman In Black (heard good things from friends), The Raven

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love action movies.  I also live movies about the Civil War south.  One of my all time favorites was Mel Gibson in the Patriot.  I lost count of how many times I have watched it.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love action movies.  I also live movies about the Civil War south.  One of my all time favorites was Mel Gibson in the Patriot.  I lost count of how many times I have watched it.
If you like Civil War movies, the best one is "Gettysburg"  It covers all three days of the battle from both sides.  When Pickett's division makes the charge up Cemetary Ridge, it makes you wonder how any of them survived.  If you ever get the chance, go to the battlefield park and look down from the lookout at the top.