Moved House Cat Now Yowling At Night

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

So this is the second time in a year we have had to move house with our 6 cats (mamma and 5 'babies'). The first time went very smoothly, no problems at all. This times 5 cats are fine, 1 is not. During the day she is ok, her usual skittish, shy self. She loves her mamma (biological that is) and plays with her siblings. They are all spayed and neutered and healthy. She is not and never has been a fan of people. She will take a treat from our hands but most of the time will swat it out of hands rather than eat from our hands. She hates to be handled. I have tried playing with her, giving her catnip toys, spraying cat behave spray in the areas she yowls the most, spraying calming home spray (valerian) around the house, telling her to stop, ignorning her, clicking my fingers at her, closing curtains, blocking off drafts from under doors, staying up, leaving tv on, leaving a light on, turning everything off, all sorts. But every night, she yowls. She paces around the house intermittently and yowls. We now have upstairs neighbours, I'm afraid we will get complaints. We live in Riyadh, saudi arabia. Please if anyone knows how to stop this, let me know. Its been 4 nights in a row now. Thanks. Oh and if it helps, she is 19months old.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm wondering, as you likely are as well, if she's smelling or hearing something that isn't apparent to you, even though everyone else in your furry crew is ok.

Can you try a different type of calming product, there's Calm-o-mile as one example and Sentry and other brands are available as well.

Also, try cat music. Low volume classical harp music, Relax My Cat is an app, MusicForCats . com etc

:vibes::goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah yes, i forgot about relax my cat. I use it every time we take them on a car journey (to the vets etc). Right, I've got it playing in the room they spend most of the night in. The tv is on the living room. Lets hope this works!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried feliway plug ins?
Yup!! Got ond plugged in since we arrived although i don't think it does anything. I originally got it to try to help her be more comfortable around us, but it did nothing for that. I also troed a calming collar, that did nothing too.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then she is disoriented because she doesn't fully know her territory outside. I would take her for walks during the day in a harness, if you can.

If not, it may be a just ignore her until she stops kind of thing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could try Bach Rescue Remedy which are calming drops you can rug into her ears at night.

But, honestly, you've tried too many things over the course of just 4 days/nights. The odds are anything you try is going to take longer than that.

Where do the other cats sleep at night? Are they confined, or do they all go their own way in various areas of the home? Does she have a favorite or two (even Mama) of them that you might place her with when it comes to nighttime/sleep?

Play time late at night for her would probably be your best hope in tiring her out so that she wants to sleep instead of yowling. And, picking a select regiment to try out for a longer period of time. You're just adding to her confusion by switching things up all the time.