Move Stray or Not

Dave226

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello I'm unsure what to do there is a apparently homeless cat thats living on some waste ground at the rear of our property, over the past year or so I've been feeding him the left overs from my fussy eating cats. In approx a month I will be moving to larger premises should I take this cat with me or leave him in the area he's familiar with?
stray2.jpg
sray1.jpg

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would take him with you. If you have been feeding him for approx a year then he relies on you and a certain amount of trust has built up. If the people who move into your property dont like cats or dont feed him he may struggle.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree. It might sound odd, but they do come to depend on you once you start feeding them for a while.

Additionally, when you get him, you should have him neutered. I can tell by the photo that he is still fully in tact.

Neutering him helps to address the overpopulation of homeless cats just like him.

It also helps decrease territorial fighting with other cats (that can lead to injury and spread of disease) and other nuisance behaviors, and helps to prevent a lot of other health issues. He’ll also be less likely to wander off someday and potentially become lost.

They will also vaccinate him at the same time.

Look for low cost spay/neuter clinics in your area (or the new area you’re moving to).

If you need help finding one, you can contact local rescues for resources (we LOVE when people call to ask for help about this!!!), or if you give us your general area, we can help find one for you.

Now, regarding the move itself - there’s a little bit of a process in order to move him successfully.

Once you get to the new place, you’ll need to contain him for 3-6 weeks to ensure he doesn’t try to run away to find his old home. Cats have a very strong “homing instinct” so he needs to be contained for a while in order to give him time to realize that this is his new home and he will be provided for here, and to forget about his old home a bit too.

You can contain him in a room, bathroom/laundry room/enclosed patio/etc, large dog crate, cat enclosure, or a modified dog kennel. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Are you able to handle him or pet him? He looks friendly.

Is there any possibility you would consider making him an indoor only cat and allow him to join your other kitties? That is also another option.

Thank you so much for not only caring about him, but considering taking him with you for your move 🖤

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Take him for sure. Getting him neutered will also help with staying close when acclimated to your new place and not fighting if there are other cats that may come around. Can you keep him inside while he gets accustomed to the new place?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
moxiewild moxiewild as covered the steps. Definitely take him. Cats are not as expressive as dogs but the fact that he is not running up to you with his tongue hanging out, wagging his tail, does not mean that he is not completely dependent on you. I have taken cats with me over the years who were in exactly the same circumstance you describe, one of them successfully trapped as the moving van was pulling up, and it always worked out.

I have also seen them left behind, coming for that meal that never will appear again and not understanding what happened. If new owners chase him off, he is really lost.

If you can't take him, start to look around for a source that might be able to help, although right now that is going to be very difficult.

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww what a handsome boy! Thank you for caring for him and for bringing him with you to your new home, he will adjust and be forever grateful that you include him in your family!

Letch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The squinting cat above looks like one of ours when it hears the flea treatment box open.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello I'm unsure what to do there is a apparently homeless cat thats living on some waste ground at the rear of our property, over the past year or so I've been feeding him the left overs from my fussy eating cats. In approx a month I will be moving to larger premises should I take this cat with me or leave him in the area he's familiar with?
View attachment 350779View attachment 350780
Unless their is someone around to tend to this cat with feedings and shelter, than please take him with you. I took a friendly stray with me when I moved. It took me a while for her to get use to indoor living, but she turned out to be a sweet, happy girl. If this cat is a feral, you must put him in a crate fir a period of 3 weeks in order to get use to her surroundings, so he is not overwhelmed in the beginning. By just putting the cat in a new environment without safety precautions, there is a high likelihood of the cat getting spooked by new surroundings and wandering off. Well, I wish you the best. I am struggling with a bunch of cats who were pushed on me. I am looking for help with them. I get grief everyday about them, but realize that we are their protectors. I am invested in their survival and want the best outcome for them. Well, I hope that helps with your problem. Have a good one. 🙂