Mouth sutures didn't dissolve

writingislove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Winston was at the vet six weeks ago and had quite a few extractions. At his 10-day follow-up, the vet said his mouth had healed great and that the stitches should be gone by the two-week mark.

Well, he's had some weird mouth behavior and I inspection to find he still has several sutures still hanging out in there, and possibly an infection around them (gum tissue looks a little iffy). Obviously I called the vet, he's scheduled to be seen tomorrow afternoon. But--I'm freaking out. What will they have to do to remove the suture material? He's a senior kitty and has asthma, and I'm so worried they'll have to put him under again. Has anyone been through this, can you share what happened?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My guy had a dental recently, and when he went in for his follow-up, the Vet was able to pull some of the stitches out right then and there (at 3 weeks in) She wasn't able to get them all, but some of them. So really, it all depends on how tolerant Winston is.

But if they DO have to put him under, they must have done it for the dental, and he came through fine, right? so no reason to think he wouldn't be ok for this...it would only take a few seconds to remove the stitches I would think, so probably wouldn't even need to completely know him out..just a very mild sedative .might do it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Obviously I called the vet, he's scheduled to be seen tomorrow afternoon.
I understand your concern and hope you will update us after Winston's vet appointment. I agree with mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens that a mild sedative should be all that is needed. If it helps at all, our cat who we adopted has had a total of three dental surgeries over a five year period. Unfortunately he came from a bad environment with no health care. However, the good news is that he fully recovered and I hope the same is true for Winston. Please keep us updated on his progress. :alright: