Mouth Open

lilycat.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I found a kitten in my backyard, we took her to the vet and they believe she is around 4 months old. She’s only had her first round of shots and is dewormed. She hasn’t had her rabies, distemper, etc. vaccinations. She’ll be getting those in a week. I’ve noticed sometimes, she looks at me with her mouth open and shakes her head. Is this normal? It’s usually after she runs around. I’m worried she might have rabies or be sick. The vet said she was healthy, had no fleas, two ticks, and no wounds. She had a very itty bitty scab on her neck, i’m thinking it was around 3 mm.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do this as another way of sencing/smelling. Only one of my 3 cats does it occasionally. Its weird!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've seen cats do that occasionally...It almost looks like a person doing a very exaggerated "double-take," if I'm envisioning what you are describing right.

Is she eating, drinking, playing and sleeping normally? Using her litter box? If she is, then almost certainly this is just a "thing" for her, or if there is something wrong, it is not an emergency. DO mention it to the vet when you take her back, or if it gets more frequent, give him a call, just to make sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilycat.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
everything else is normal! she’s eating and drinking and using the litter box. i don’t know about sleep because at night, she sleeps in our garage because it’s the coolest room and it gets very hot. i’m sure she sleeps though.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
DO let us know what your vet thinks. We'll fret just a bit until then. I really think it's going to be fine, but we'll fret anyway.

lilycat.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i took her to the vet when we found her, she said that everything was normal. i didn’t mention the open mouth though, because at that time (one month ago) there was no problem.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is almost certainly just a "thing" that she does. Mention it when you go next week, and don't worry TOO much till then unless she starts acting really "off."

lilycat.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I found a kitten in my backyard, we took her to the vet and they believe she is around 4 months old. She’s only had her first round of shots and is dewormed. She hasn’t had her rabies, distemper, etc. vaccinations. She’ll be getting those in a week. I’ve noticed sometimes, she looks at me with her mouth open and shakes her head. Is this normal? It’s usually after she runs around. I’m worried she might have rabies or be sick. The vet said she was healthy, had no fleas, two ticks, and no wounds. She had a very itty bitty scab on her neck, i’m thinking it was around 3 mm.
so we went to the vet, and she said it was just allergies or something she does. thank you guys so much for he help!