Mouser cat food!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's fine to give kittens an adult food as a treat. If you accidentally give adult food as a meal, no harm done really :) FWIW one of my cats has always eaten "adult" food since he was weaned because there is no raw food specifically made for kittens. He's almost 12 now and is healthy if you ignore the IBD and asthma (genetically predisposed due to breed).

Marley&Luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's fine to give kittens an adult food as a treat. If you accidentally give adult food as a meal, no harm done really :) FWIW one of my cats has always eaten "adult" food since he was weaned because there is no raw food specifically made for kittens. He's almost 12 now and is healthy if you ignore the IBD and asthma (genetically predisposed due to breed).
Awesome. Thanks!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i fed graycie some begining of this month smelled like sardines kinda to me. after opening the can up and its got like tomatoe looking sauce like sadines price wise it costed more than tiki/fussie cat/ weruva and the like so its more a novelty type food to use for me i bought it at friends furrever(in walnut ca.) for those of you local to the san gabriel valley in los angeles county they also do mail order as well no idea about shipping fees etc. i can say that store has huge selection of cat foods and treats. graycie did seem to like it though

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found this article: Calif. company launches cat food with mouse meat in it - The Lima News

Some detailed into about the brand:

The amount of mouse in each can is a trade secret, Radcliffe said. But he added that mice are “ridiculously expensive,” with the meat costing about 10 times more than chicken, turkey, duck or rabbit... He does not use lab-research mice, but buys from specialty producers breeding the rodents for purposes such as feeding pet snakes and injured owls at wildlife rehabilitation centers... Animal-nutrition consultants, and the staff at the Chicago cannery where Mouser is now made, helped him perfect the recipes... Retail prices for the 5.5-ounce cans of Mouser vary. Pets and More charges $2.39. At Aptos Feed & Supply, it’s $1.99...

I thought someone had posted pictures of the Mouser label not too long ago, maybe lisahe lisahe ?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found this article: Calif. company launches cat food with mouse meat in it - The Lima News

The amount of mouse in each can is a trade secret, Radcliffe said. But he added that mice are “ridiculously expensive,” with the meat costing about 10 times more than chicken, turkey, duck or rabbit... He does not use lab-research mice, but buys from specialty producers breeding the rodents for purposes such as feeding pet snakes and injured owls at wildlife rehabilitation centers... Animal-nutrition consultants, and the staff at the Chicago cannery where Mouser is now made, helped him perfect the recipes... Retail prices for the 5.5-ounce cans of Mouser vary. Pets and More charges $2.39. At Aptos Feed & Supply, it’s $1.99...

I thought someone had posted pictures of the Mouser label not too long ago, maybe lisahe lisahe ?
No, it wasn't me the first time... but here's a link to the company, with photos!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ipics are of freshly opened can i fed graycie day after i got it i think it was susan that post pics of ingredients list on can though

Attachments

Marley&Luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we bought one of each recipe and the girls liked them all! I’m not sure about the whole tomato paste thing, but ok it’s not like this is the only food they’ll get. Reordered more rabbit, duck, and turkey.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This web site sells individual cans of Mouser: Incredpets.com

Ingredients are listed for each product. Tomato paste is the third ingredient, maybe as a thickener in the same way one would use in cooking a meal?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This web site sells individual cans of Mouser: Incredpets.com

Ingredients are listed for each product. Tomato paste is the third ingredient, maybe as a thickener in the same way one would use in cooking a meal?
Yes. I think like Rawz uses fenugreek seeds as a natural binder, Mouser uses tomato paste. It’s not as tomato-y as I was expecting. And it certainly didn’t stop Betty from eating a hole in the plate. Almost. Alligator jaws, teeth hitting the plate, snarfing noises, I think she enjoyed it. And now we wait to see how it treats her on the transit before I can continue with the transition. Even with the tomato paste, the carb content is 9% on dry matter basis compared to the 35% in her Hills I/D. Even if I can’t get her off the Hills completely, this should go a long way in reducing total carbs in her diet.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried this food yet?
I thought I had updated this thread. I just started my Betty White on Brush Hunter (rabbit and mouse), and she loves it! The first portion she went alligator jaws on it, making snarfing noises, and practically bit a hole into the plate. We're still on trial portions as we work through the food transition. But I hope to replace her overnight meal with this as well as keep offering her an afternoon snack. I just scoop this from the refrigerated can into her timed feeders. While I haven't personally temperature checked it, Betty doesn't seem to have an issue with it when the feeder pops open a few hours later.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought I had updated this thread. I just started my Betty White on Brush Hunter (rabbit and mouse), and she loves it! The first portion she went alligator jaws on it, making snarfing noises, and practically bit a hole into the plate. We're still on trial portions as we work through the food transition. But I hope to replace her overnight meal with this as well as keep offering her an afternoon snack. I just scoop this from the refrigerated can into her timed feeders. While I haven't personally temperature checked it, Betty doesn't seem to have an issue with it when the feeder pops open a few hours later.
Laughed out loud at the description of the enthusiasm: she went alligator jaws on it, making snarfing noises, and practically bit a hole into the plate. LOL

I may have to pick up a can or two for fun.

I wonder if it would work for you to freeze an "afternoon snack" portion on a tray (with wax paper) and then bag the individually frozen portions in a ziplock, which would thaw in the timed feeder? Just a thought.

Bill

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laughed out loud at the description of the enthusiasm: she went alligator jaws on it, making snarfing noises, and practically bit a hole into the plate. LOL

I may have to pick up a can or two for fun.

I wonder if it would work for you to freeze an "afternoon snack" portion on a tray (with wax paper) and then bag the individually frozen portions in a ziplock, which would thaw in the timed feeder? Just a thought.

Bill
I don't understand the extra step. It's unnecessary. She already eats her snack portion out of the feeder. I scoop it from the can in the fridge, and it sits in the feeder for three hours, presumably coming up to a more comfortable temperature. She has not left a remainder in the feeder since I started feeding this to her.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't understand the extra step. It's unnecessary. She already eats her snack portion out of the feeder. I scoop it from the can in the fridge, and it sits in the feeder for three hours, presumably coming up to a more comfortable temperature. She has not left a remainder in the feeder since I started feeding this to her.
Wasn't sure if you had temperature-related concerns over the food sitting out?

If not, then it is unnecessary.

Bill

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wasn't sure if you had temperature-related concerns over the food sitting out?

If not, then it is unnecessary.

Bill
It is coming from the refrigerator already. I assume it’s roughly the same (probably safer) as putting fresh food in there with an ice pack beneath it. I’m a touch more concerned with this food over something more processed. But cats come back to fresh prey hours after a kill and they don’t use ice packs. They have robustly acidic stomachs to protect them against food-borne illness.

It’s certainly not the same concern I would have as putting raw food in a feeder. I don’t think I’d ever be comfortable with that.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My mouser cans arrived! Since Zorro has proudly & loudly gifted me the same live mouse 2 nights in one week I’m wondering why I’m doing this. (I’m sure the mouse is getting tired of the routine). I’ll see what‘s left in his timed feeder come morning!