Motherless Kittens Found - Stores Closed For Hurricane - Help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ermentrude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom must be somewhere nearby. My parents leave out food for the neighborhood feral cats, so I guess it would make sense that she would keep her kittens sort of nearby the easy food. Usually there is a video camera on the feeding station, but the food was moved for the storm.

My dad was taking down hurricane shutters and making a bunch of noise and pop out appeared the two new kittens. One has an eye infection like the first two, but they responded really well to the meds, so hopefully this one will too. Still waiting on a picture of the other baby.

IMG_1924.jpg

And here is new baby 2. They're definitely all the same mom.
IMG_1925.jpg

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure they are the same litter? These two look about a week younger. If there are many ferals, the mother of these two maybe an aunt of the first two.

ermentrude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My parents did work with someone to TNR the mom of their spring kitten - that kitten was older when they found her though. Mom kept coming for food for a while and eventually got lured into the trap. Mom had zero interest in humans, so being returned out was the best thing for her. I'm sure they'll try the same with this mom, if she's still around.

First two kittens were 10 and <8 oz when found 4 days ago. Healthy kitten is up to 12 oz right now (sickly just never really gained anything). The two new kittens are 10 and 12 oz right now. The new ones are also perfectly inclined to eat their meals out of a shallow plate, which is so very much appreciated by their retirement age human servants.

Regardless, the three are roughhousing and generally being adorable.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents did work with someone to TNR the mom of their spring kitten - that kitten was older when they found her though. Mom kept coming for food for a while and eventually got lured into the trap. Mom had zero interest in humans, so being returned out was the best thing for her. I'm sure they'll try the same with this mom, if she's still around.

First two kittens were 10 and <8 oz when found 4 days ago. Healthy kitten is up to 12 oz right now (sickly just never really gained anything). The two new kittens are 10 and 12 oz right now. The new ones are also perfectly inclined to eat their meals out of a shallow plate, which is so very much appreciated by their retirement age human servants.

Regardless, the three are roughhousing and generally being adorable.
Many thanks emertrude for your reply. All those kittens are very lucky to have been encountered by such generous and kind human servants. :petcat:

ermentrude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Minor update. Kittens went to the vet, vet is fairly certain they are all from the same litter. Generally speaking they are all doing very well, although the one they had all weekend is the most outgoing right now. New ones have "flea dirt" so they're getting a bath today. Waiting on the results of the tummy bugs, but were given something for ear mites and more eye meds.

This vet office just moved into the neighborhood, literally in my parent's development. The vet sat on the floor playing with the kittens talking with my parents for a solid 30 minutes. Good news is that the vet is currently without a cat, and her kids want one. So she might adopt one of the girls (technically she wanted the one my parents first found, but that might be a hard sell as I think my mom is fairly bonded).

The little boy may, against my better judgement, end up with me. I need to choose a name. Usually my cats have French names, so I'll have to work on that...

ermentrude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like those, but I'm thinking Francis at the moment. I typically name after historic French royalty, so their entitled attitudes match their names. The little prince in my profile is Charles, I also have an Eleanor and Edouard, all spoiled rotten.

ermentrude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought I'd give one last update but it isn't what I expected it to be. The kittens are doing quite well, running, playing and such. They were being overfed by my well meaning mom but that has been resolved. One of the kittens refuses crunchy and still has softer poo. Overall they're little bundles of energy and I've been trying to prepare for the new household member, little Henri.

But unfortunately today they tested positive for FIV. I'm pretty much heartbroken at the moment, for me but more so for those beautiful little babies who did nothing wrong but are sick. I'm at work and cannot say or do anything about it right now though. I don't know what my parents plan is right now, but my mom is devastated.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, but there are many stories here of FIV+ kittens living long and happy lives.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FIV is not as big a deal as FeLV. Cats with FIV can live a normal lifespan. They may be more prone to infections and dental problems but that's not a big deal if you keep an eye on them. It's also not very contagious.

Also, sometimes small kittens have false positives. Make sure they get re-tested later.

My mom has a cat who tested FIV+ in 2009. No problems yet!

Here's the Cornell info: Feline Immunodeficiency Virus

ermentrude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got a cat (Mr High Maintenance in my picture) who among other things has recurring herpes infections. No amount of lysine or whatever else seems to stop it from coming back. What I've read so far says that while the FIV kitten would have to really attack one of the other cats to transfer it, which is good, the kitten is pretty much a lover. But with a compromised immune system, getting the herpes infection could kill the kitten. I would bring my sweet little Henri home in a heart beat, I've had cats with all sorts of conditions and am willing to go to the ends of the earth for them. But it would be infinitely selfish to bring him home knowing he would be made sick.

My dad is saying for now they will wait the 60 days to retest. The only other viable alternative is to take them to a no kill shelter who will look for homes better suited to their needs.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My local vet won't even test for FIV until 6-8 months because he says that it'll come up positive in their bloodstream regardless if their mom has it. Something about the antibodies from her milk lingering and giving them a false positive.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens are extremely unlikely to have FIV, especially a whole litter. This is almost definitely antibodies from their mom. Get them retested at 6 months, but there is no cause for alarm before then.