Motherless Kittens Found - Stores Closed For Hurricane - Help

ermentrude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My parents found two kittens, eyes still closed just out in the open this morning. Not sure if a feral left them or some idiot in their neighborhood dumped them - that would be normal for the neighborhood.

Regardless, the stores with kitten formula are not going to be open today - we were told to evacuate yesterday. They found another kitten earlier this year but much older (caught mom and had her TNR'd), so I think they have a baby bottle but not formula. More stores are going to be closing as the storm gets closer.

So with that said, what incredibly basic grocery store items that hopefully are not sold out can be used to feed these little angels until the storm has passed and they can be turned into the humane society? Feeding all hours of the day and night should be fine as no one is sleeping well at the moment anyway.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might also try contacting the animal shelter(s). They may have extra donated KMR that they would give you. Veterinarian offices also may have some for sale.

Hope you are in a safe location and out of the storm's way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ermentrude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of the kittens is super energetic and rambunctious, the other is lethargic. My mom is going out to try to find KMR somewhere and my dad is busy boarding up windows and tying stuff down. I'm 30 miles away and getting only intermittent reports. We weren't supposed to be a direct hit but they're revising everything now so who knows. At least they'll be protected when the storm hits.

Attachments

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you ermentrude for protecting the little ones at such a difficult time with the threatening storm. To orange&white's feeding info I just wanted to add the importance of keeping the little ones warm athough you are probably aware of this.
Please confirm as soon as possible that you and your family have remained safe and sound unaffected by the storm.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck...

I found these on the Web:

A recipe for Kitten Glop;
INGREDIENTS:
1 lg. can evaporated milk (not Milnot)
2 tbsp. plain yogurt (not diet)
2 tbsp. mayonnaise (real)
1 tbs. Karo Syrup (light)
1 pkg. Knox gelatin
1 egg yolk (beaten)
1 cup of liquid unflavored Pedialyte

INSTRUCTIONS:
Mix milk, yogurt, mayonnaise and syrup together well.
Bring 1 cup water to boil and mix in Knox gelatin; set aside.
Mix egg yolk with small amount of milk mixture and beat well.
Add gelatin and water to milk mixture and beat well. Add in egg yolk mixture and beat well.
Pour into a freezer safe bowl or similar type of bowl with a cover and set in refrigerator.
We usually use Ice Cube Trays for our glop pudding. Pudding will last for two weeks covered in refrigerator.
Always warm pudding to room temperature (milk form) before feeding.
It is very rich in calcium, this pudding can be used as a supplement for kittens, sick cats and show cats to put on weight. Several Veterinarians have approved this recipe as being balanced and nutritious.

another recipe for Kitten Glop

FRANNY SYUFY'S ABOUT.COM GLOP

Popularly known as "Kitty Glop" among breeders, this recipe is packed with nutrition for orphaned kittens, nursing mother cats and their babies, cats recuperating from illness and older cats who need nutritional supplementing. Some recipes call for canned goats milk; if you have it readily available it's fine, otherwise canned evaporated cows' milk works well.¹ The recipe sets up to a gelatin-like consistency in the refrigerator, and can be stored there for up to two weeks. It can also be frozen in an ice tray for convenience in serving. To serve, warm to room temperature. Do not pour back unused portions into the mix.

12 oz. of water
1 envelope Knox Gelatin
1 12oz can of whole evaporated milk (not skim)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons plain yogurt, not nonfat

Boil the water, add the gelatin - stir well. Add the following ingredients in order, mixing well after each addition: 1/2 of the canned milk, mayonnaise and yogurt; the rest of the milk. Variations include the addition of kitty vitamins, acidophilus, and/or pureed baby food meat such as lamb, chicken, or beef. Franny adds: "I have seen variations with two egg yolks added, but I would caution against this, due to the risk of salmonella with raw eggs. For very easy mixing, you can use a blender at low speed, but I also like a bowl with a wire whisk."

¹ Many older cats have difficulty digesting cows' milk. The acidophilus may help with this, but you might want to try mixing a very small amount to test on your older kitty first.

I hope these help you...

Please take care.. be safe...

Thank you for rescuing these poor little ones...

IF possible, can you get some Lactaid milk, in place of regular milk.. that would be better...

stay safe...

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you can get goat or donkey milk, its good. goats milk shouldnt be too difficult, either raw or processed or in powder.
Most kmr are OK.

In dire punch you can always buy some time giving them water with a little honey or white caro syrup in. Its no good food, but they will survive a couple of days on it.

Other emergency foods: plain full fat youghurt should do as base. You can add one egg yolk and a little honey or white caro syrup as above, + a trifle salt.

to the weak one: smear his lips and gum with water mixed with honey or white caro syrup. Here it may be more sweet than when supposed to drink it.
Glucose sugar in this gives immediate energhy boost.

My parents found two kittens, eyes still closed just out in the open this morning. Not sure if a feral left them or some idiot in their neighborhood dumped them - that would be normal for the neighborhood.

Regardless, the stores with kitten formula are not going to be open today - we were told to evacuate yesterday. They found another kitten earlier this year but much older (caught mom and had her TNR'd), so I think they have a baby bottle but not formula. More stores are going to be closing as the storm gets closer.

So with that said, what incredibly basic grocery store items that hopefully are not sold out can be used to feed these little angels until the storm has passed and they can be turned into the humane society? Feeding all hours of the day and night should be fine as no one is sleeping well at the moment anyway.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are older kittens, could even be 5 or 6 weeks old. If they have teeth, they're old enough to start on solids, although they should still get some KMR for the extra nutrients. And if they were nursing exclusively before, they may take a few tries before they get the hang of eating solid food.

Anyway, if they have teeth, tell them to try canned food mixed with KMR (or whatever she can find) to make a soupy mix. They probably won't need a bottle.

It's a good thing the little ones found someone that cares enough to keep them safe!

ermentrude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of your help!

Found one little pet store that was open and got their last can of premade KMR and a can of off brand kitten powder food.

They weighed them on an antique food scale and came out to 10 oz for kitten 1 and 7 oz for kitten 2. Kitten 1 is full of all sorts of nonsense. Already scaled and escaped the box. Kitten 2 is not doing well. They have a heating pad and my mom is trying to feed KMR and / or Karo syrup but he is not interested in eating.

I got more of the story - kitten 2 was out and sort of not moving, when my dad picked him up, he perked up a bit, but then kitten 1 flew out like "hey, me too!!!". They are still adamant that their eyes were not open, but I'd guess it was goopy stuff sealed them closed a bit, they weigh too much to be newborns. My mom is going to move heaven and earth for both of those kittens, but if kitten 2 doesn't make it, he did his brother a solid by being out there so my dad could get them both.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, their eyes are probably sealed shut from infection. They need to get them open. Soaking the eyes with a warm wet washcloth is the best way to soften the goop so they can open their eyes. If the eyes are crusted shut for too long they can lose the eyes. Once the hurricane is over, they need to get some terramycin for the eye infection, but until then just keeping them clean and open will help a lot.

Do they have a medicine dropper? For the little fading guy, I'd recommend keeping him extra warm (cuddled next to a human is best) and giving him just a few drops of KMR every 5 minutes. Rub some Karo on his gums now and then. Poor little guy still may not make it, but I think that technique has the best chance of success.

ermentrude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Teeth are present, Kitten 1 (aka Big Boy) is eating KMR and kitten canned food like a maniac, but only off of my mom's finger. Would like to run around but that isn't really in the cards right now. He's going to be a boss.

Kitten 2 (aka Little Man) ate a little, and is just chilling on my dad at the moment. They're giving him little bits every few minutes, so maybe he'll pull through.

I'll try to get better pictures from them tomorrow. Sorry for the random updates, waiting for a hurricane is boring.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see you manage nicely, as well as there can be. The weak sickly ones are always an uncertainity. The "payment" is, if they do survive, you have friend and a mighty soul protector, in this life and the afterlife.

Re emergency foods. I did forgot one which is quite easy to get.

Human baby milk may be used in a pinch, although it isnt concentrated enough for cats. Both straigh from the source if there is nothing else (yes one forumist saved a kitten this way), and in powder.
IF you have the powder, make it twice as strong, ie dilute less than you would for a human baby.
Its no perfect kitten food, but they will survive a good while on this.

ermentrude ermentrude

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are older kittens, could even be 5 or 6 weeks old. If they have teeth, they're old enough to start on solids, although they should still get some KMR for the extra nutrients.
I just saw this thread and was going to say the same thing.

If you can get your hands on baby food, meats only, make sure it doesn't have garlic or onion. This will do in a pinch, you can also start them on a pate, preferably kitten, but I understand the situation.

Stay safe, this thing is huge.

ermentrude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK morning update. Yesterday I kept reading threads about kittens in similar situations and they recommended pedialyte. So my mom whipped up a batch of the homemade stuff and my dad administered a little by eye dropper. Almost immediately he peed and then started opening his eyes and looking around. He has perked more and is more interested in the KMR - eating "a ton" according to my dad. His brother is now interested in him - rubbing and grooming him, trying to play and sleeping with him where yesterday the healthy one was ignoring the sick one. And as I'm typing the little one got up and took a few steps - which is a first. Fingers crossed.

Yes, that is nurse Hilde in the background. She thinks she is an oversized cat. She is being kept away but is super gentle with her other cats, including the 6 week old kitten my parents found in April.

IMG_1914.jpg

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
What great news...
I am so happy!! for you and for the kitties...

Shoot, I was going to add pedialyte to my original post, but forgot... my mind is just not what it used to be....

So happy...

Stay safe, post when you can give us updates as to how you are fairly with Flo and the kitties....((Hug))

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK morning update. Yesterday I kept reading threads about kittens in similar situations and they recommended pedialyte. So my mom whipped up a batch of the homemade stuff and my dad administered a little by eye dropper. Almost immediately he peed and then started opening his eyes and looking around. He has perked more and is more interested in the KMR - eating "a ton" according to my dad. His brother is now interested in him - rubbing and grooming him, trying to play and sleeping with him where yesterday the healthy one was ignoring the sick one. And as I'm typing the little one got up and took a few steps - which is a first. Fingers crossed.

Yes, that is nurse Hilde in the background. She thinks she is an oversized cat. She is being kept away but is super gentle with her other cats, including the 6 week old kitten my parents found in April.

View attachment 252566
There's something about a big ol' dog taking care of orphaned kittens.
Glad the pedialyte helped the littlest one and update us when you can. Stay safe from harms way with this hurricane!