Mother still not cleaning herself after delivery

madmaddiesmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am new here and still pretty new to cats. We were "adopted" by a stray, and found out she was pregnant (and only about a year old) when we took her in to be vaccinated. It's been several weeks now, and she gave birth to 6 kitties on Tuesday (5 days ago). She is nursing and cleaning them, but has not cleaned herself after delivery yet. I have cleaned her up a bit with a damp washcloth a few times, but she is still pretty dirty. Is this normal? I am worried that she is not healing properly or having problems and that is the reason why she isn't doing it. Should I just keep helping her clean herself, or is this something that could be a major health issue? Should I be worried? Thanks!!

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, exactly my reaction too. The easy answer is you help her with cleaning, but the problem is, it may be something more serious behind. She being a heroic mom takes care of her kittens, but dont have strengh to take care of herself.  OR still bleeding.   Some bloody discharges after are normal, but as you say, she is "still dirty" although you try to clean her, it seems to come more.

So yes, I do worry myself me too.

I would recommend you to contact your vet. The vet will know what follow up questions to give. She may also want to see your protegée.  I hope an extra vet visit isnt big problem for you?

Better to error on the side of safety, than risk to stand there with orphaned kittens and deep sorrow in your heart.

Good luck!

Last edited:

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately, it is not normal that she is not cleaning herself.  It is normal for her to be more focused on the kittens,but not to neglect herself entirely as seems to be the case.

I agree that a vet visit is in order. Is she eating a normal amount herself?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madmaddiesmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the input! I did take momma and babies to the vet a little while ago...we lost the "runt" of the litter this morning, so I wanted the vet to check everyone else over to make sure they were all okay. Vet said that momma is not bleeding anymore, and looks like she is healing fine and should not be having any problems. He seemed to think that it was most likely because she is still a little "rounder" than pre-pregnancy, and may still be having trouble reaching all the way back there. He told me to clean her up and it wouldn't be long before she was back to her nimble, flexible self again. Thanks again for your answers...

--Ashley