Mother/kittens: Is It Aggression Or Are They Playing?

Litter.aly.lost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gemini & Pepper are a lil over 2 mo. Old. They are quite rambunctious and constantly playing with each other sometimes they get a little rowdy but both of them being around the same size i dont really worry too much. A few weeks ago when we still had the rest of the litter, Ginger started getting involved in the play running after them and pouncing etc. I didn't think nothing of it because i figured she was just teaching then how to be a cat. Also, she was mainly chasing them, then tackling them, and ending with making then surrender for an unwanted bath. Lol. However, now that its just the girls left... Ginger seems to be getting much more aggressive when getting involved in their playtime. She'll tackle them, pin them down and bite them (real or play im unsure) till they are squealing and i have to break it up. They dont squeal like that when they play with each other. Is this normal behavior and am i just over reacting or should i worry about the girls safety?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah its pretty normal. I'm guessing Ginger is young, active and playful. She is starting to treat them like little siblings not her kits. Which is ok. Part of it may be her teaching them manners too! This is what happens if you don't leave me alone and keep jumping on me when I ask you not too!

The squealing thing is like a human sibling calling for mom because brother is playing too rough. Purple nurples and indian sunburns and all that -- no younger sibling likes that lol. But none of that is actually dangerous, and it doesn't make the younger sibling want to play any less. This is the same.

The kittens tell you its not a problem by how they act when the play is done. Guessing they come right back to mom for more and don't generally run and hide from her. That tells you its ok.

I've only once seen a video of a rambunctous young adult playing truly too rough with kittens. I'd bet money this isn't like that, but share a video if you want the piece of mind!

Best,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Litter.aly.lost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah its pretty normal. I'm guessing Ginger is young, active and playful. She is starting to treat them like little siblings not her kits. Which is ok. Part of it may be her teaching them manners too! This is what happens if you don't leave me alone and keep jumping on me when I ask you not too!

The squealing thing is like a human sibling calling for mom because brother is playing too rough. Purple nurples and indian sunburns and all that -- no younger sibling likes that lol. But none of that is actually dangerous, and it doesn't make the younger sibling want to play any less. This is the same.

The kittens tell you its not a problem by how they act when the play is done. Guessing they come right back to mom for more and don't generally run and hide from her. That tells you its ok.

I've only once seen a video of a rambunctous young adult playing truly too rough with kittens. I'd bet money this isn't like that, but share a video if you want the piece of mind!

Best,
ty i feel much better. Lol i did try to get a video but every time i had the camera ready its like she knew and paused in her tracks. But ill trust in your advice because they do just keep running back to play with her. In fact its kinda like they are conspiring against her. They'll run at her and run off and hide while they watch her try to find them. Then when she does find them the squealing begins. its quite adorable to watch at least up until i thought she was hurting them but now that i know shes probably just playing i wont get onto her as i thought i needed to.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great! Yep, definitely sounds like playing. I mean, don't get me wrong, sometimes they definitely want to get out from the bottom and run to disengage, just the way little brother wants to get away from big bro when its purple nurple time. But the coming right back tells you its fine. If cats are actually being hurt, they act very different around the cat that hurt them and growl/hiss or avoid even when not playing.

I agree to let them be. You dont want to accidentally discourage them playing and she wont understand the be gentler message. That said, if the little ones seem to really be disliking a particular session, it is totally fine to help out and grab a toy to try and distract them all. Just don't yell, that won't do anything useful.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally agree with the above, if the kitten was really getting hurt, they would totally avoid the other. Get a kickeroo on amazon for cats and throw it towards the aggressor if you think things are getting out of hand, They are irresistable!