Mother Cat Won't Eat

pbcates25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has given birth to 6 kittens last September 20. Everything is normal, kittens are healthy. On the 5th day, however, the mother cat suddenly becomes sad. I don't know what to call the term but I could describe her behavior. She stops laying beside her kittens last night. She eats but very little (I'm giving her food every 2 hours and she eats little of them). I talked to the vet and I was advised to give her Calcium LCVit OB which I give to her today. And Royal Canin Mother & Kitten cat food which she also ate today. But she is still sad and just sleeps all day. She still doesn't come near her kittens, but if you put the kittens near her she welcomes them and allows them to suckle. But I am worried about her sadness. It affects me too. What should I do? Thank you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as she is eating, using the litter box, and not hiding that is good. She does sound like she needs more calcium in her diet, which could cause those symptoms. I would offer her some goat's milk, or kitten replacement milk and see if she will drink it. Do not give her cows milk, that could upset her stomach. Or continue with what the vet gave you if she will eat it. One day is not enough time to see calcium working so give it a little longer. Try to pay some attention to her, talking and stroking her, she needs some attention right now....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pbcates25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Thank you for your reply to my post. I gave her a bowl of milk, and she drank a portion from it. I gave her KMR, the same milk replacement I am giving her kittens. I hope she gets well soon. God bless you...

pbcates25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One thing also that I noticed is that she drinks a lot of water all the time. She prefers water more than food.

pbcates25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello again. I brought my cat to the vet to have her examined. And here are the results of the test. I have her confined so that the vet could monitor her. I am very worried about her health issues. There are so many of them :( :( :( Do you think she will recover?

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did he give you any kind of antibiotic, with her high WBC count it indicates an infection. The other counts that are off is a liver problem. The liver could be off because she hasn't been eating. The main thing is to get her eating. That would help all those counts a lot. Get some Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, or any other kind of lickable treat, something high in calories. ANYTHING to get her eating. Deli meat, table food, take-out food, anything to get her started, you can worry about nutrition later. She is extremely run down with giving birth and all those kittens, and now this. I have seen cats pull through lot worse than this, so hang in there, do what you can to get her to eat, and give her a lot of love. You are doing all you can with what you have, that is all you can do. I'll pray for her......

pbcates25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is currently confined at the clinic. The vet will provide all the necessary medications and food to make her better. Hopefully, she will be alright. Thank you for your kind concern. Talking to you here gives me comfort and lessens my worries. God bless you