Mother Cat Viciously Attacked 2 Month Old Kitten (sos)

RoyLatte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Guys,

I really need some help on what to do how to handle this situation. allow me to give you a little backstory.

I have an awesome cat
She had 5 kittens, they're all 2 months old now
never had any issues --- momma cat's a champ.

The kittens and the momma stay in my room only, its really big and plenty of room.
I noticed today one was missing (could not have been longer than 8 hours)
as far as I know ----- the kitten never left the house --- but something seriously traumatized the kitten and changed his whole demeanor.
I found him downstairs in the living room under the couch, scared out of his mind.
Like traumatized, really sad.

It was a massive accomplishment just to get him upstairs and back to the kitten fam
However this was the biggest problem.

The Moment ---- I brought the cat back into the room the mom responded by ATTACKING HIM, like had I not immediately stopped this she would have killed her kitten and I have no idea why.

Why would she do this?
Why would the change in the kittens demeanor affect the mom?
did it affect the mom?
WHAT HAPPENED?

As soon as I watched this happen I separated them, closed my door and the kitten went back to the living room while I tried to figure out what to do.

Please someone help me if you can, I have no idea what to do.

=]

Last edited by a moderator:

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes after weaning mother's want nothing else to do with their kittens. I think your best chance is to find your kittens new homes so she doesn't hurt the rest. I'm sorry :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RoyLatte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes after weaning mother's want nothing else to do with their kittens. I think your best chance is to find your kittens new homes so she doesn't hurt the rest. I'm sorry :(

It's not that -----All these kittens eat kitten food on a daily basis but they still nurse on a daily basis.

This has to do with all or some of the following:

1. Kittens demeanor changed -- Momma senses it maybe wants to keep it away from other 4
2. New Unknown Scent on the kitten / Maybe momma thought he was a stranger?????
3. Maybe Momma sensed kitten was sick or something.

I don't know, I just know there has to be a real reason behind it
and this has to have happened before to someone else ----

Maybe I'll find an answer --- maybe I won't --- but I'm gonna try and not just pass it off as "oh well, time to go kitten"

========================

Momma cat loves her 5 kittens
1 of them went away for a day
doesn't accept him back in.

Why?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the kitten sick at all or injured? Mother cats sometimes reject their kittens if they are sick or injured. Or maybe he just smells different after being away all day. He should be old enough to eat pate canned food by now if he's two months old. And probably Kitten Chow too. So don't panic, he'll be okay. Maybe try putting him near her in a carrier or behind a gate and see if she accepts him again.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First, make sure the rejected kitten is okay and doesn't have any injuries from mom's attack. I would then try waiting a day to let the mother cat calm down. Then use a towel to rub her and the rest of the kittens and then rub the rejected kitten to transfer the scent and make him smell normal again. Finally, keep him in a carrier and carefully introduce him back to the mom and see if she accepts him. Let us know how it goes!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
HAS he any real wounds? If not, it wasnt no real attack, whatever it was.

One alternative explaining the violelency, may be redirected aggression. As those are the one which may get really nasty.

A cat got excited and scared by something outside her reach - perhaps a hostile passerby outside the window. And being unable to raach and attack this enemy, attack the one which is possible to attack: a cat companion inside, or her human... The standard remedy is to separate them, and let the excited cat cool down at least several hours. Sometimes may several days be necessary.
Sometimes its rehoming the best solution, if they had become enemies, or verry suspicious to each other...

RoyLatte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay guys

this is the conclusion if you will.

about 10 hours later from this whole incident i got home, 'Puff' didn't move an inch, or eat or drink.

i put him in a cat carrier, tried again to meet the two cats.

Undeniably

Momma cat would tear this kitten to shreds in under a minute if i wasn't there
i don't know how it could be so bad.

but i won't keep trying, it's to dangerous

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes let them be separated. If necessary hasten to adopt him out.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he won't eat or drink, he might be sick. Can you get him to eat some pate or kitten chow? It does sound like you'll have to keep them separated.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the kitten hasn't eaten or drink un ten hours, It is time to stop worrying un his relationship with mommy and Focus on the actual problem: kittens cannot be so long without eating, if you do not do something about It inmediately, the poor kitty is going to die.
Srynge feeding him with pate mixed with warm water might be your best option at the momment. Also, you may have to stimulate Jim with a wet cotton pad to use the litterbox.
The other members suggestion that this kitty could be ill are right, in my opinion. A trip to the vet could be the only way to find out what is wrong with this baby and how to solve It. Once the Kitty is healthy and well fed, you can try the scent changing process suggested Ardina Ardina very slowly. If you need a week, let It be a week, don't try to speed things.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, the kitten sounds seriously sick. Act according to it! So a vet visit as soon you can manage it is necessary,
and during the time, try to entice it to eat and drink.
Some water sweetened by honey is good to begin with., gives quick energy.
If he is too weak to even be enticed to drinking, smear some of such sweet honey water on the lips and gum.

Moms aggression may be he sensed someting was amiss, and did scared away him, to avoid risk of contagion on her healthy ones....

Im sorry I didnt read close enough your message, I should get alarmed earlier. Im glad other memebers noticed...

Okay guys

this is the conclusion if you will.

about 10 hours later from this whole incident i got home, 'Puff' didn't move an inch, or eat or drink.

i put him in a cat carrier, tried again to meet the two cats.

Undeniably

Momma cat would tear this kitten to shreds in under a minute if i wasn't there
i don't know how it could be so bad.

but i won't keep trying, it's to dangerous

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. You can add a Feliway diffuser, either as adapter or spray, to faciliate them getting together, after the vet check up.

There is also flower essence theraphy, for example Dr Bachs Rescue Remedy. Galaxy Jackson and his firma sells something similiar too.
In practice its difficult to use it, because few people have it at home, it takes time to get it home. And this is for use immediately...

But Feliway is easier, Many wellsorted pet shops and vets have it home as standard.

RoyLatte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a local Rescue (not shelter) that is going to take him, tomorrow. so thats good

But its so sad u guys i love this lil guy so much and i go downstairs just to play with him and he just purr's and chases my feet.

i tried one last time to bring him near mom with the carrier and its the same VICIOUS reaction on both sides --- the mom wants to attack ---- and kitten goes hostile defensive.

11am I'm taking him in. =[
Puff3.JPG

Thx Guys

<3 Puff
Puff1.JPG
Puff2.jpeg
Puff1.JPG
Puff2.jpeg
\

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I know you're going to miss him, but at least you've found a safe place for him to go. Hopefully he'll be adopted soon and have a great forever home.

Some mother cats just don't make the best mothers. One of the feral cats I used to take care of abandoned a whole litter of kittens when they got to ten weeks old. Luckily I was able to get them in the house and found homes for all of them before anything terrible happened.

Make sure you get the mother cat spayed as soon as you can. Do you need help finding a low cost spay and neuter clinic in your area?

RoyLatte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know you're going to miss him, but at least you've found a safe place for him to go. Hopefully he'll be adopted soon and have a great forever home.

Some mother cats just don't make the best mothers. One of the feral cats I used to take care of abandoned a whole litter of kittens when they got to ten weeks old. Luckily I was able to get them in the house and found homes for all of them before anything terrible happened.

Make sure you get the mother cat spayed as soon as you can. Do you need help finding a low cost spay and neuter clinic in your area?

I'm good on spay/neuter places.

You know norachan, i just feel so bad about this, he lost his mom and 4 siblings and has no idea why
and the mom won't take him back in,
she's a great mom to these little kittens I'm sad =[

but at least he gets to go to a good place and not a pound

===================

One thing i don't understand though, mind you i currently have 7 cats, 5 kittens 2 adults

i originally just had 1 adult cat, old roommate of mine moved out left me all his shit (and pregnant cat, so thats how that happened)

Anyway my cat got outside the house yesterday for about 12 hours, quite a while.

When he came back in my room, Mother Cat (Luna) was hostile, she was sniffing, hissing, biting a little bit. but My Cat (Jaime) wasn't aggressive back, and Luna quickly stopped. like very very fast and it was back to being good.

So the same thing happened with the little kitten (got an outside scent on him) but Mother Cat(Luna's) reaction was 20x MORE aggressive, really extreme.
and kitten was aggressive back to.

I don't get it

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
These things happen and there is not always a good explanation.

Your little guy will be better off going to the rescue and getting adopted into a good home!

I know you're sad though. It's not easy!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So I understand hes non moving and non eating wasnt any disease, but pure nerve reaction, a literally shell-chock?!

Good it solved itselv in a reasonably good way.

Congrats!

ps. Prepare with Feliway or the Rescue Remedy, so you arent defenceless if the situation happens again at any time. Now you know this momma IS prone to such... She feels perhaps a little crowded, makes her feel uneasy, and then its just the last straw breaking the backbone - and the explosion comes in full force...