Mother cat separate one kitten to nurse him

Waseem Almozain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,
I found a stray kitten (12 months old) roaming around the house. She looked so clean with trimmed nails so I though she was lost or thrown away which is why I took her to home and found she was pregnant. She gave birth to 3 healthy kittens (fourth died unfortunately). Now it's day 3 and she started moving one of the kittens to a different place away from birth box (under the couch) and stay with him there nursing him.
I was measuring the kittens and found out that specific kitten was losing weight after 2nd day and wasn't sulcking milk from nipples (his brothers are too strong). She also meows and cry a lot to me. I checked her in vet and nothing major regarding her health

I'm just wondering if I should interven or leave her doing her thing. My only worry is that under the couch isn't really safe and I can't reach there to put blankets and keep the place warm for the kitten

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi All,
I found a stray kitten (12 months old) roaming around the house. She looked so clean with trimmed nails so I though she was lost or thrown away which is why I took her to home and found she was pregnant. She gave birth to 3 healthy kittens (fourth died unfortunately). Now it's day 3 and she started moving one of the kittens to a different place away from birth box (under the couch) and stay with him there nursing him.
I was measuring the kittens and found out that specific kitten was losing weight after 2nd day and wasn't sulcking milk from nipples (his brothers are too strong). She also meows and cry a lot to me. I checked her in vet and nothing major regarding her health

I'm just wondering if I should interven or leave her doing her thing. My only worry is that under the couch isn't really safe and I can't reach there to put blankets and keep the place warm for the kitten
Im writing soon, stand by

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its apparently a good momma, whom feels her baby needs extra help, and gives him this extra time, just for him. Very good!
Hopefully its enough. When biggies arent disturbing him, he will have the time to suckle.
I presume after this session, she returns back to biggies?
The problem is, if he is really weak, he may perhaps not be able to suckle...

IF so, you must step in and handfeed. At least, till he become stronger.

You are measuring their weight, which is very good and wise. Do he still lose weigh after mamma gives him extra sessions? If he gains, everything is OK, and you monitor but dont need to do nothing actively.

If he is losing, or even standing still, you must step in. You can always begin with giving him a trifle of glucose sugar or a droplet of white caro syrup on his gum, inside of his lips. It gives quick energhy, and may help him to manage to suckle.

If its not enough, you will need to handfeed him. Use a good kmr (Brand KMR from powder is good), or goats milk. Raw goats milk is best, buy Meyenbergs pulver goats milk is OK. You will prob need to use a needless syringe or a dropper. Kittens whom had momma are often reluctannt to bottle.

Re this her taking him under the bed. Either lay down in there a blanket, so he lies comfortably. Or make it impossible for her to go in there. Have her and her kittens perhaps in a small room or closet, without no bed. You can put in there a sideturned cardboard box, with a towel in. So its cozy and gives her a little cover.

Had you felt if his gom is whole? Cleft palate isnt uncommon. If so he will have great difficulty to suckle, because suckle mean creating vacuum... Such kittens can often by saved, but its necessary to handfeed them.

Surgery isnt always necessary. It doesnt look pretty, but if the damages arent too big, they do survive. Human kids and kittens.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. This with momma giving extra care is really a hopefully sign. Because its common if momma feels the kitten is a goner, she abandons him. In nature she doesnt want to entice predators and scavengers to a sick kitten, and risk her remaining healthy kitten. This is not always so, but quite common. (such kittens can often be saved if the caretaker works vigorously enough, but its lotsa work of course. Its easier to take care of an orphan than a weak and sick kitten).

So when momma DO cares extra about a weakish kitten, its really a promising sign.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Waseem Almozain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your replies

I measured the kitten today and he gained good amount of weight :)

The others are also healthy and gaining weight in now trying to move them to more closed space to have privacy (they are originally staying at nest box in the corner of my room)

You can see a picture for them here

Attachments