Mother cat - question

Squirrel12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong part of the forum.

I took in a stray cat who turned out to be pregnant. She is very friendly. Always greeting me and the other family members when we come home etc or meows at us when she sees us etc

Anyhow, she has recently had kittens about 12 days ago. They all seem to be doing well and she has left the kittens for about five mins max and always comes back.

This morning she has refused to leave the kittens or even come out to eat or greet any of us like she has always done.She refuses to leave the kittens and I’ve had to hand feed her so she eats something. I am concerned that there maybe something wrong with her as her behaviour is unusual from the norm.

Any advice ?should I be worried?
Thanks

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Feel her head and nose for warmth as in fever. Check her mammary glands and nipples for inflammation in case she has mastitis. If so, she would need antibiotics. Or she may have a UTI or uterine infection. You can check for any unusual vaginal discharge.

If she continues to seem “off,” a vet visit is in order.

Do give her kitten formula to drink daily as it may be low calcium. It produces lethargy if she doesn’t have enough and can cause seizures. Use quality powdered formula.

Keep us posted!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Squirrel12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice it was very helpful. I will keep an eye on her.

I am already giving kitten milk for her to drink she drinks sometimes perhaps I can change it and give another brand to a better quality one as suggested is the cimicat or lactol better ?

or do you mean to give the kittens milk so that it gives her a break? Or both? Sorry I’m slightly confused. If kittens is syringe better than then the bottle?
Thanks again

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Give mom the kitten formula for extra calcium. What brand are you currently using?

How is mom today?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try giving milk replacer to both. The syringe gives you the choice of gently syringing (be alert to prevent aspiration of formula) or using a Miracle Nipple (for me, Miracle Nipples are more acceptable to breastfed babies, cause less gas & do not need to have the hole punctured/adjusted) or simply syringing formula carefully into the little mouth.
Also, as previously advised, be alert for hypocalcemia and infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Squirrel12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your advices.
She appears to be in better spirits today so hopefully it was nothing.

the kittens will be two weeks old this week. I understand I need to give the worming treatment. Is it best to wait until they are three weeks old or is it important to do it once they are two weeks old? Any recommendations?

should I take them all to the vet for this or wait until they at least four weeks old ?
Thank you again

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If they are doing well I would not worm them or go to a vet until they are 8 weeks old. Older is better. Young kittens tend to react poorly to treatments.