Mother cat hisses at her cats

tootie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two stray/feral kittens who I just neutered and now the mother cat (spayed months ago) hisses at them and won't have anything to do with them. They are stray cats so I am unable to rub her scent on the kittens and visa versa. They will not let me touch them. Its sad to know what neutering has caused although its to give them a better life. The mother cat does come around to eat but will not acknowledge them at all although the kittens will come to her but back off once she starts hissing at them. They used to eat and play together before the neutering. Is there anything that I can do to get the mom to sense them again.
I have tried putting the kittens blanket close to her when she eats but don't know if that is working.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not unusual for a mother cat to hiss at her kittens when they come back from the vet. I have had kittens who hissed at their mother and were most perplexed when she had to wear a cone. (My cats don't want to know me when I forget to take off my mask!). In my cases it has always sorted itself out after a few days. I hope it's the same for you. I gather the kittens are weaned and eating on their own so there is no danger of them starving. Good luck!