Mother cat grieving kitten

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I recently rehomed one of kitten from litter of 5. But then last night my mom cat started searching for her missing kitten. She was meowing and making other calls and going in and out of rooms to search her missing baby and after finding out that ine of her kitten is missing, she won't even eat and wouldn't respond when I touch her as if she doesnt trust me anymore. I feel really terrible as I think she no longer trusts me. What's more worrying me is what will happen when I have to give away more of her babies as I can only keep one or two of her kittens
What should I do? Should keep all her kittens? Is there anyway to make rehoming less traumatic for mother cat? Also would she be back to normal soon?

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sadly there isnt much you can do. She should settle down soon. She needs time to process and accept her kitten is gone. Also if you can perhaps keep the remaining kittens a bit longer it sounds like she's not ready to be away from them just yet. The older the kittens are the less stressed moms seem to be when they're rehomed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sadly there isnt much you can do. She should settle down soon. She needs time to process and accept her kitten is gone. Also if you can perhaps keep the remaining kittens a bit longer it sounds like she's not ready to be away from them just yet. The older the kittens are the less stressed moms seem to be when they're rehomed
I think she thought I was going to keep all of them. Before she use to sit and lay down in a very relaxed position watching her kittens play exchanging very warm and trusting look with me but now she seems all distressed and worried..
It took her two days to realise that her kitten was missing so I thought she was all fine with it but yesterday night she was searching the kitten as if she would find it lost or stuck somewhere in the house😔
Do you think it helps to let her see the person take away the kitten so she knows they are being rehomed?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old was this kitten that you rehomed? Most mama cats, frankly, get sick and tired of the antics going on with a litter of kittens, but it is usually after they reach about 10-12 weeks. By then, they are pretty much done with nursing, even the typical comfort-only kind that goes on when they are already eating regular food, and have gotten the manners lessons that mama needs to teach them.

Just watch her because there could be something else going on with her - health wise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old was this kitten that you rehomed? Most mama cats, frankly, get sick and tired of the antics going on with a litter of kittens, but it is usually after they reach about 10-12 weeks. By then, they are pretty much done with nursing, even the typical comfort-only kind that goes on when they are already eating regular food, and have gotten the manners lessons that mama needs to teach them.

Just watch her because there could be something else going on with her - health wise.
They are 8 weeks now. The kitten got rehomed at almost 8 weeks, couple of days earlier maybe. I don't know she looks both sad and bit pissed at me
She usually don't teach them any manners as she is usually not around them. They were even toilet trained on their own with little bit of help from me. Do you think there's something wrong with her?
She was definitely searching her kitten last night, I am not sure why she isn't eating this morning though. It might be because of other health issues or that she's too sad she lost her appetite
I didn't think she would knew if 1 was missing out of 5 litters but she did
It might be because the one that got rehomed was only black one out of all white kittens idk

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most mom cats begin to push the kittens away some when they wean them. That makes it easier on mom cat to let her babies go. If you wait until they are totally weaned, it is better for them all. Mom cat should turn her attention back to the others again. If you plan to keep any, keep the ones she is most bonded to. It’s always hard to let go of any but give them all the best you can. If adopting out is best for the kitties, then you are giving them their best chance at a good life. If keeping them all is affordable and can be handled well for the life of all involved, then you could consider keeping the family together. I think you will see a marked difference as the kittens get a bit older. I think you are awesome for caring so much about the kitties.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you think it helps to let her see the person take away the kitten so she knows they are being rehomed?
Yes, I think its essential. No sneaking taking away, but so she sees the kitten is leaving.
Its also an advantage if the person fetching, shows herself as friendly, cuddly. Talks both with you, her and the kitten. So she knows the kitten is going to a good home.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
8 weeks is young for a kitten to leave the family, especially if not adopted with a sibling. I agree with. talking to ber about her missing baby. Decades ago, we had many yard cats and the mother cats would share raising each other's kittens. One mother cat was given away but she bravely made a long journey across wilderness to return to her babies. Another time, a mother cat mourned like yours so my father drove many miles to bring back her kitten - the people were very understanding and waited several more weeks to get their kitten plus they adopted a sibling, too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s time now to get the mother cat spayed since the kittens are 8 weeks old. Do you have an appointment set for spaying her?

It seems vets in Australia are practicing normal services at this time:
COVID-19 information for veterinary practitioners
In particular:
FF32FA23-1801-4384-9F50-1B9A3FCCCF48.jpeg

I agree you should keep the kittens with her for at least a couple more weeks. If possible, get the black one back for a couple more weeks too.

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat came pregnant. When she had the kittens everything went well. At 8 weeks we gave one away. She saw the person and that the kitten left with them. She didn't search for it, but she remained tight with the others and we couldn't make ourselves give the others away. The family stayed together their entire lives. She protected the kittens all the time, even after they were bigger than she was. She watched everything to be sure they were safe. Once an outside cat screamed at the grown kittens on the porch. Mom cat charged the outside cat V-ing the aluminum screen door out. No other cats came in our yard after that. She outlived all her kittens and was there beside each one as they crossed over.

I think it's pretty clear, regardless of what some mother cats may do, your cat is very attached to her kittens. When you get her spayed she will not go into heat and will not be forced by hormones to abandon her kittens for sex. Please note, in the real world you will frequently find cats who keep their kittens with them to help with their own and their kittens future litters. Do not underestimate the bonds cats form. Some of these bonds last for years surviving the cats being parted, but yes, cats grieve the loss of their kittens and their feline and other companions.

Last edited: