Mother Cat Fighting Son

cameelacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a cat who gave birth to 6 cute black kittens, we gave 5 new homes and kept the 1 male kitten. He grew up with his mom and they play together, sleep together and all that mother-son thing.
But after a few weeks, we got the mother cat spayed. They were still okay together after a few months, but then she started hissing and scratching her son.. I don't really get why. (She also pees in our bed which is unusual, but she eventually stopped.) But maybe here is one of the reasons?? not sure

-Her son wasn't neutered and he's in heat sometimes.
-We learned that her son has an infection in his bladder, he doesn't pee in the sand box, his urine is a bit red. (We started giving him medicine for about a week now tho, I think he's getting a little better)
-I'm giving his son more attention, I'm guilty about this, It's just I feel bad for him because his Mother doesn't like him, even our dog doesn't like him. :((
What should I do? What are the other possible reasons?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he? I'm assuming he's at least 6 months old. He's maturing, so she's seeing him as a tomcat now, as a danger to her (hypothetical future) kittens and as a predator. He really needs to be neutered. Females only tolerate tomcats for a very short period of time ;).

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Males don't go into heat. They are always hormonal and ready to mate and fight. Can you have him neutered? It's the only thing that will help their relationship and happiness.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I'll second what Willowy said. Even if he's not acting like it, he's maturing and she now sees him as a tomcat instead of her kitten. If he's not been feeling well, it's also possible that he's acting "tougher" towards her to hide his weakness, even if there's no change in his behaviour that's noticeable to a human. A neuter would likely reduce the tensions.