Mother cat can’t find her kittens

Escane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My family and I have been feeding this stray mother cat who gave birth to her kittens in our garden. 2 days ago they got scared off from their place due to them getting wet from the garden hose. Last we saw of them together was them running outside of our vicinity. But a couple of hours later, the mom came back and it seemed like she was trying to find them. She kept meowing for them and looking back at their last hiding place and roaming around our house as if trying to find them, and she’s been doing that for the past few days. When she’s not doing that she stays at our front porch at times when she would normally be with her kittens. I also noticed that her teats are swollen since no one has probably been drinking her milk :(

We tried finding her kittens but it’s really hard considering how we havent heard them meowing back whenever the mother calls them. What aid do you guys suggest we give?

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you checked with the neighbors? Ask them to check their sheds and garages and under decks. Could it be possible that someone rescued them from the streets? Perhaps this person thought the kittens was abandoned. People do make this mistake, instead of making sure the kittens' Mama is around. Still ask the neighbors, maybe they heard kittens nearby. You can also check with tnr and rescue groups in the area. Perhaps someone brought the kittens to them. Check Animal Control as well.

I am very short on time, but I am sure there will be others posting here shortly. I wish you all the best in finding those kitties.🙂

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you know how old the kittens are?

What's your neighbourhood like? Built up or rural? Kittens won't normally go very far from their mother while they are still nursing. They're usually very vocal when they hear the mother calling too. Is there anywhere they could have got trapped or locked in?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Escane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you checked with the neighbors? Ask them to check their sheds and garages and under decks. Could it be possible that someone rescued them from the streets? Perhaps this person thought the kittens was abandoned. People do make this mistake, instead of making sure the kittens' Mama is around. Still ask the neighbors, maybe they heard kittens nearby. You can also check with tnr and rescue groups in the area. Perhaps someone brought the kittens to them. Check Animal Control as well.

I am very short on time, but I am sure there will be others posting here shortly. I wish you all the best in finding those kitties.🙂
Yeah this is one of our guesses as well (the other being that they could have fallen down a sewer 😞). We’ll ask our neighbors about this thank you for the help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Escane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you know how old the kittens are?

What's your neighbourhood like? Built up or rural? Kittens won't normally go very far from their mother while they are still nursing. They're usually very vocal when they hear the mother calling too. Is there anywhere they could have got trapped or locked in?
The kittens are around one or two months old :( We’re located in a neighborhood with plenty of houses and there’s a grassy area beside our house. The thing is, the mother doesn’t call out for them in a wide radius like she just does it within our vicinity so it’s possible that the kittens cant hear her if in case they’re farther away. It’s possible they could have been picked up by someone too i’ll keep you guys updated

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you search for them by using a flashlight in the dark? Their eyes should reflect very well. Can you get mom cat to follow you if you lead her with food? Try leading her on a search and call. Can you record mom cat calling them? If so, use that during your search for them. Mom cat should bring them if they hear here but they may be scared of you. Can you set up a feeding station in a few places that are safe? Then watch those places carefully. Placing fine sand around the feeding dishes should leave footprints to show you of little kittens are eating there. Chances are, they are very near. At two months they do tend to start wandering so keep looking! Is the mom cat tame enough so you can it her or train her to a harness and leash? I recently used this method with a lost cat and it worked. The cat on the leash did gong the lost cat. Sort of like a search and rescue dog.
Do put up flyers for lost kittens everywhere. The local post office is an extra place to post them as well as local vets, shelters, the humane society and to any rescue groups. Also, online you can post about lost kittens to your specific area. Facebook as well. Is there a colony of cats anywhere near or other pet cats? Cats are attracted to other cats or any food that may be out for other pets. If there is another mom cat in your area, she may have adopted the lost babies into her litter too. I had that happen when a couple of kittens got separated from their mom. Backtrack to any place you have ever seen the mom cat wander. The kittens can be under buildings, in buildings, under bushes, around trash cans, anywhere a cat can hide or find food. Look up! Besides climbing trees, they could be on a roof. I had that happen too. Use smelly foods at the times you used to feed! Cans of tuna in water, Gerber 2 Nd foods all meat baby food that is slightly warm puts of a yummy scent. Mom cat may follow you to eat it and the babies may spit her. They are probably nervous or just so distracted by other things, it may take time. Usebright lights to shine in any culverts, drains or ditches and call to them. Even without mom cat, if they need you, they are likely to meow. Just don’t give up! I can’t tell you how many times I have searched for babies or others and felt worried. Some took longer than others but persistence pays off. Don’t give up! They are probably closer than you think. My search recently got a cat named Thrasher did bring her back home. Patience and never give up. :hugs: Cats are masters at hiding.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You need to try to follow all of the excellent suggestions already given. I only work with strays and ferals and have had several litters born on or near my property over the years. My area is quite urban, so often the mother does not like the area where she gave birth because it will be disturbed by a gardener, a trash truck will come by or the like and so litters have often been moved; however, the mother cat always knew where they were and if they all went into hiding, such as after a coyote attack, they were together with her. What concerns me about your situation is that the mother seems confused. I am guessing rescued erroneously by someone or trapped someplace like a garage, shed, or crawlspace.