Mother cat biting kitten's ear and face and drag her

Maisie147

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

I'm very new here, decided to sign up because I am quite concern with my cat's recent behaviour. She has a calm personality and always care for her kitties who are now 7 months old. But recently she has been biting one of her kitten's ear and face and dragging her out of the blue? The kitten did not react but just stayed silent. I'm wondering if this is an aggressive trait and something that I should be gravely concern about?

Has anyone experienced the same thing? I appreciate any answers and replies.

Thank you very much!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 7 months the young cat is old enough that their relationship changing is natural. This is probably rough playing, but other things are definitely possible and I'm not totally sure what this is about from the description. Can you get a video of the behavior if this is repeating?

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome! I recently was involved with a cat who had two kittens of her own and also cared for 4 other kittens that were abandoned. There was one kitten in particular that eventually drove mom cat crazy - all the others learned to not bug her to death, but not that one. She normally would just run away from him, but occasionally would smack at him or bite him to get him to stop bugging her. These kittens were probably about 4 months old at the time. I also think their incessant playing around and all over her got on her nerves, even though she was really pretty patient. Is it possible the kittens are just driving your mom cat nuts in general, and this particular one is not as quick to learn to stop bugging her? Are you sure it is out of the blue and not being provoked by this one kitten?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
While there could be a number of reasons, I also wondered about the spaying/neutering status. I have seen this become an issue in the dog world, not worth going into here, but just saying.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maisie147

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At 7 months the young cat is old enough that their relationship changing is natural. This is probably rough playing, but other things are definitely possible and I'm not totally sure what this is about from the description. Can you get a video of the behavior if this is repeating?
Hello! This behaviour happens when her daughter is meowing loudly because she's in heat, she is not spayed

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! This behaviour happens when her daughter is meowing loudly because she's in heat, she is not spayed
Ah, I guess that is your answer then. The mother is still intact I assume, so you have two queens living together. We would need some expert guidance, this isn't my area, but I'm guessing that usually comes with some issues. Unless you are a breeder, its probably time to get this issue taken care of.