Mother cat bites week old kittens

Fleabone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My son's cat, Nelly, is very young,just a year. She just had a litter of kittens, my husband was in the hospital and my son let her out while she was in heat. She was supposed to go get spayed that afternoon. Sometimes I think my son is a total moron, but that's another thread. His dad was in the hospital and he was acting out. I guess. During her pregnancy mama cat mostly stayed in my room, she likes me better than him. She had her kittens last Saturday and struggled a little bit with attentiveness during the birth. She successfully had six kittens every one viable and I only had to deal with one cord and sack for her. We had a little scare with her yelping in pain and some bloody discharge and she had to go to the vet, I packed up her with the babes in a pet carrier. The vet tech took her from my car and did not take me inside due to the Coronavirus. Nelly seemed to recover as soon as we got home. Didn't seem too stressed out, however I have noticed something that concerns me. I noticed it around day 2. While cleaning her kittens Nelly will put her mouth around their throats not on the back of their necks on the front. She will also bite their faces I don't know if she's hurting them as they are usually protesting being cleaned when it happens. She grabbed them with her front paws and holds them and then licks & bites I've only seen it happen a couple of times, and I have tried to distract her verbally with her name and "NO" without touching her when it happens but I'm concerned she's being so very rough with such tiny kittens.
As a side note one of the kittens has a stuffy nose. I weighed them all today and he is the lightest of the bunch. I bought kitten formula but can't get him to try to nurse on the kitten bottle, any suggestions?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL! Love the comment about your son. :)

Mother cats come across as being rough when they are handling their kittens. When one of my females had kittens some years back I was horrified with how she manhandled her them but she knew what she was doing. I suspect your cat does as well. The little one might be the runt. If he is refusing formula, he is probably getting enough from his mother. I would consult the vet about the stuffy nose.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL! Love the comment about your son. :)

Mother cats come across as being rough when they are handling their kittens. When one of my females had kittens some years back I was horrified with how she manhandled her them but she knew what she was doing. I suspect your cat does as well. The little one might be the runt. If he is refusing formula he probably is getting enough from his mom. I would consult the vet about the stuffy nose.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This momma behavior isnt optimal, but it does certainly happens now and then, and most of these kittens survives. So we must see this as a natural variation. Good you are on your look out and try to moderate, though. :)

Continue to weigh the kittens, especielly monitor the smallest. They shall add minimum 6g daily, but preferably 10+ daily.
Its correct you probably must do something extra there.
The first line of defence will be, to let him nurse when the others are sleeping. Or at least, a couple of the biggest are sleeping. You can perhaps make an extra warm and cozy nest for the to sleep their midday nap.
During the time, you have 1-3 of the smallest with momma....

Second, kittens whom have momma, are often reluctant to bottle. So its easier to give them with a little needless syringe or even a dropper. This is a little tricky, and even somwhat risky if done faulty, so train beforehand.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ll need to use a needless syringe to supplement the little runt. It sounds like he absolutely needs it.

Weigh them all every day. Supplement any others that are not gaining at least 6-10 grams or more a day. Six kittens is a lot, especially for such a young mother cat. Here’s a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Keep an eye on the little guy’s stuffy nose. It sounds like a cold, which may spread to the others. If he’s really struggling, he may need antibiotics if it turns into an upper respiratory infection (URI).

As far as Mom‘s behavior, it sounds like she is being a little rough. The behavior is normal, and teaches discipline, but is usually observed at 3-4 weeks and older. Break it up if it’s over the top.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fleabone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all the great replies and helpful resources. I'm grateful for you all. Miss Nelly was put on antibiotics at her vet visit and has been pretty cooperative taking them. These little guys & gals are gaining weight like crazy, we went from 160 to 180 grams up into the 200s in a day and a half. Most of their eyes are open and they're already trying to get out of the little nest when Mom leaves them to eat. Speaking of eating mama is eating up a storm as well. Saw her do the neck bite again several times while the kitten in her paws cried about being groomed. She bites them on the face &:throat. I redirect her if I witness the roughness by gently touching the kitten and then very softly petting her.
Stuffy isn't so stuffy anymore, he/she is the runt. 2 weeks old today and all seem to be thriving.
Thanks again, stay safe,
Felicity