Most Likely "dmh Tortie", But...

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A certain someone keeps bugging me to see if my Callie is a Maine Coon. Personally I don't think so, don't care, and have no desire to spend money to find out for sure, but it can't hurt to ask here. Maybe it'll get them to stop bothering me about it.

Her kinda sorta ruff, and lack of ear tufts. I keep trying to explain that the hair in her ears =/= tufts which are on the ear tips, but "certain someone" apparently does not believe me.
20190312_183506[1].jpg

20190312_174034[1].jpg

The long fur on her pads. I tried explaining to "certain someone" that it's not all that uncommon in medium and longhair Cats, but again apparently they don't believe me.
20190312_172256[1].jpg

She is a big Cat, but she's long and sleek and not at all bulky.
20190311_052445[1].jpg

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, tortie DMH/DLH, as you already know. People just like to think that cats are "special" breeds, but of course all cats are special individuals regardless!

The toe tufts etc. are common in all cats with the longhaired gene. Tufts can also appear in domestic cats, so that's no indication of breed even if they are present.

How much does she weigh, out of curiosity?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, tortie DMH/DLH, as you already know. People just like to think that cats are "special" breeds, but of course all cats are special individuals regardless!

The toe tufts etc. are common in all cats with the longhaired gene. Tufts can also appear in domestic cats, so that's no indication of breed even if they are present.

How much does she weigh, out of curiosity?
Thanks, that's what I had thought. Now maybe "certain someone" will quit bugging me.

Last Vet checkup she was just shy of 8.5 LB, but she's 15 years old and has always been on the lean side. I think the most she ever weighed was around 9 LB when I first adopted her back in 2012.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pretty girl!
Longhairs are supposed to have an original point of origin, so she will be cousins to longhaired breeds.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Longhairs are supposed to have an original point of origin, so she will be cousins to longhaired breeds.
All cats are cousins if you go back far enough :) However, the long hair mutation is one of the most ancient traits in the domestic cat, and doesn't indicate breed ancestry. Images and descriptions of long haired cats go back many hundreds of years, and these cats are widespread all over the world. Multiple genes for the long hair trait have been identified, indicating that there have been at least 4 separate mutation events in the past (and probably more) that resulted in long haired cats:
Cat Long Hair