Most cost effective wet food?

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am feeding 25 cats every day; feral colony and previously trapped feral kittens and strays that couldn't be released. I have read on Dr Lisa Pierson's site that the worst wet food is better than dry so I buy Tractor Supply's  Paws and Claws at 69 cents for 13oz can, Walmart brand and leftover Friskies that the 14 indoor cats don't finish to save money.

What are your thoughts on this? I used to splurge occ on Wellness, Merrick,etc but just don't want to do that as I need quantity over quality.

Karen

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Paws and Claws brand is actually not too bad.  It's good if you can avoid foods that have grains and gravy.  Also try to limit the amount of fish they eat.  I am not sure about the Walmart brand, so read the ingredients list.  If it has "meat by-products" anywhere, I'd avoid it.

Bless you for helping them all.  Thank you for taking on this responsibility.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response. Paws and Claws mixed grill first ingredient meat by products as is Special Kitty (Walmart). Tractor Supply 4Health @ .99 for 13.2oz does not contain "meat by-products" but Friskies does for the same price. What's so bad about meat by products/poultry by products for ferals who would go hungry with the 2 feet of snow and freezing temps we have here in the poconos? I'd really like to buy the cheapest to go the farthest.

I spend over $400 per month on cat food!!! Talk about crazy cat lady! And hubby not a cat person but very, very tolerant.

Karen

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's just that "meat by-products" can contain just about anything - beaks, bones, anything. But really, if it means not being able to feed them, by all means, use what you can.

Is there any way you could recruit family and friends to help? Maybe ask for Gift cards for special occasions that will help you buy the food?

there may also be a group in your area that can help. Our spay/neuter group sometimes gets food and distributes it to local caregivers.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am feeding 25 cats every day; feral colony and previously trapped feral kittens and strays that couldn't be released. I have read on Dr Lisa Pierson's site that the worst wet food is better than dry so I buy Tractor Supply's  Paws and Claws at 69 cents for 13oz can, Walmart brand and leftover Friskies that the 14 indoor cats don't finish to save money.

What are your thoughts on this? I used to splurge occ on Wellness, Merrick,etc but just don't want to do that as I need quantity over quality.

Karen
Another brand they may help you out is Great Choice  @ Petsmart ..  A  5.5 oz can is  .37 cents .. It is comparable to Friskies.

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ondine, family and friends help occ, but with so many cats it's a drop in the bucket. I also get some help from the community.

LDG, thanks for the link, very informative.

2Cats4Me, Thanks, maybe 1-2 times per year a get to a Petsmart, it's a bit over an hour away. The Christmas before last when I was shopping there I was telling the cashier about my TNR work and all the cats I was feeding. When I returned to the register with more food using the $5 discount on the previous receipt, the young man donated a bag of catfood he bought with his employee coupon.

I saw him again this past holiday season, he said he still had letter I wrote to his manager. Then he checked all expiration dates on my items to make sure I got the discount for soon to be expired products.  I want to adopt him!! 

Karen 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Paw & Claws is fine, at least the Mixed Grill is pretty decent. I don't like 4Health because it has a ton of plant ingredients and is high in carbs for a canned food. Plus my cats don't like it :tongue2:. Some of the grocery store brands are OK too---we have Hy-Vee grocery stores here, and their canned cat food isn't bad. I think it's around 80 cents for a 13-oz can. Paws & Claws is the cheapest I've found. And Special Kitty (I stick with Mixed Grill for that one too). Nothing wrong with those foods. At least they're mostly meat, unlike the cheap dry foods (ugh).

Last edited:
  • Purraise
Reactions: ldg

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To be honest, my nutrition is pretty bad. I am a vegetarian who does not like to cook or eat veggies. I eat junk, Cheetos, potato chips, cookies. I do eat yogurt before bedtime but majority of my diet is carbs, English muffin with peanut butter for breakfast, sometimes an egg. Whatever cheap food I buy for the cats is better than what I get. Hubby cooks but mostly meat, he made a nice looking meatloaf the other day.

I should be more concerned about my diet, lol!!!

Karen

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you checked the online retailers like chewy.com, petfooddirect.com and wag.com? They often have better prices and if you get autoshipments, they give a discount and I think they all give free shipping after a certain dollar amount spent.