Mosquitoes And Cat Fur

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, does anyone know any articles by vets or experts on whether a cat's fur helps to protect from mosquito bites (besides unprotected areas like the nose and ears)?
I have been thinking about using a heartworm preventative for my cat ( we live in a tropical country) but have been warned against it by my friends as my cat has a chronic kidney condition. My next best bet is screening the windows and monitoring my cat for mosquito bites.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi wombat.

A couple of questions:
  • when you say "chronic kidney condition", do you mean reduced kidney function (often called chronic kidney disease/failure) ?
  • do you have a high-quality, competent Vet ?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know if cat fur helps against mosquito bites. I seriously doubt it.

I also am not sure about the safest heartworm treatment for a cat with some kidney issues. It depends on the ingredients, and whether they are processed by the kidneys. I once read that oral heartworm preventative such as Heartgard (ivermectin) or Interceptor (milbemycin), would be the best bets as they apparently do not affect the kidneys. However, do you think I can go back and find the article I read this from so I could share it with you?? Of course not.

Echoing white shadow white shadow 's question about your vet. Can't you just ask him/her about any issues between heartworm treatment and kidney diseases?

I do believe regardless of the heartworm treatment you and your vet would decide to use, you cat must be tested for heartworms first before ANY treatment can be administered.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would think cat fur protects cats from mosquitoes about as well as our clothing protects us. If your cat is long haired it probably protects a bit better then short hair, but even then not much, and they can easily still bite the face and ears.

As others have said I would talk to the vet and ask what they suggest for heart worm treatment for your cat. The vet should know your cat better and know if any other meds your cat might be on (like for the kidney disease) could react with the heart worm treatment.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever you decide to use, put the screens up. In a tropical country, you need them. Then the mosquitoes won't bite you, either.
Yup. Putting screens in your windows should be the first thing you do regardless of what else you might try if mosquitoes are a problem where you live. You shouldn't want them in your house at all as they can carry all kinds of diseases and parasites that humans as well as animals can be infected with.

It's bad enough that they can easily get into your home by hitching a ride on your clothing or when you open the door, but windows without screens are an open invitation for them.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think so. I used to live in Alabama, close to the Gulf. Long story short...mosquitoes carried parasites that hurt the cats.

There's a type of fly called a botfly that lays its eggs on a live mosquito. When the mosquito finds an animal to drink blood from, it leaves the eggs behind and the larvae hatch and burrow through the fur and into the body, where they feast until they reach vital organs and kill the animal.

The only way to save the animal was to cut it open and squeeze the worms out of their burrows.

And ALL of that could have been prevented if the mosquito hadn't bitten the cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I will tell you that Feeby got tapeworms once a few years back and the only outside area she has is a screened-in patio. So yes, mosquitoes are everywhere.

But, the odds are reduced with screens, considering she has spent a lot of time out there over the course of the past 12+ years and only once did this happen (knock on wood).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, he has CKD. I do have a very good vet, but the truth is I'm a bit shy about bombarding her with questions, in case she thinks I'm a hydochondriac (well, OK, I AM a hypochondriac when it comes to my kitty. Only the best care will do for him!)

Hi wombat.

A couple of questions:
  • when you say "chronic kidney condition", do you mean reduced kidney function (often called chronic kidney disease/failure) ?
  • do you have a high-quality, competent Vet ?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't going to reply as I thought the issue had been resolved. But, I just noticed that you're also wondering about 'natural' repellents. Well, in the event you should return to 'chemical means', I'll finish off my thoughts.....

Yes, he has CKD. I do have a very good vet, but.........
The 'buts' don't matter at all - I wasn't meaning to imply anything at all, just asking a straight-up question to determine how competent you think she is! Because you do hold her in esteem, I too would urge you to consult her over this issue. This is not overreach, it's a very legit health concern, so she's not likely to think less of you for raising it. And, quite frankly, unless those friends have the same level of veterinary medical competence, disregard them this once and trust her advice.

So, what do the 'trusted, reputable' CKD sources have to say? (that will give you some foundation for your discussion with your Vet)

Well, the 'Oracle of all-things-CKD', the 'Tanya' site has all kinds of things to say about dealing with parasites in CKD kitties, including heartworm. For heartworm prevention, only one product is mentioned "Stronghold Plus" - that's a European version of the North American brand "Revolution Plus". 'Tanya" doesn't fly any red flags over using "Stronghold" (implicitly then, Revolution) or the 'Plus' editions. [These "Plus" products contain a second insecticide against ticks and heartworm.] She does say, fwiw, that people in her specialized online community have used Revolution:
" I have not heard from anybody who has used Stronghold Plus as yet, but several members of Tanya's Support Group have used Revolution and most of them had no problems."
LINK: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Treatments for General Health Issues
That page of her site was last updated a year ago.....you know, you could also join her online group and put the whole question to those people....if you're interested, the info's here: Tanya's Support Group. By now, perhaps someone has used it or maybe someone's used a different product, like Heartguard.

You know, I can relate to your being hypochondriacal over kitties - I 'suffer' from the same wonderful affliction:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, white shadow! That was a wealth of great information!
I wasn't going to reply as I thought the issue had been resolved. But, I just noticed that you're also wondering about 'natural' repellents. Well, in the event you should return to 'chemical means', I'll finish off my thoughts.....

The 'buts' don't matter at all - I wasn't meaning to imply anything at all, just asking a straight-up question to determine how competent you think she is! Because you do hold her in esteem, I too would urge you to consult her over this issue. This is not overreach, it's a very legit health concern, so she's not likely to think less of you for raising it. And, quite frankly, unless those friends have the same level of veterinary medical competence, disregard them this once and trust her advice.

So, what do the 'trusted, reputable' CKD sources have to say? (that will give you some foundation for your discussion with your Vet)

Well, the 'Oracle of all-things-CKD', the 'Tanya' site has all kinds of things to say about dealing with parasites in CKD kitties, including heartworm. For heartworm prevention, only one product is mentioned "Stronghold Plus" - that's a European version of the North American brand "Revolution Plus". 'Tanya" doesn't fly any red flags over using "Stronghold" (implicitly then, Revolution) or the 'Plus' editions. [These "Plus" products contain a second insecticide against ticks and heartworm.] She does say, fwiw, that people in her specialized online community have used Revolution:
" I have not heard from anybody who has used Stronghold Plus as yet, but several members of Tanya's Support Group have used Revolution and most of them had no problems."
LINK: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Treatments for General Health Issues
That page of her site was last updated a year ago.....you know, you could also join her online group and put the whole question to those people....if you're interested, the info's here: Tanya's Support Group. By now, perhaps someone has used it or maybe someone's used a different product, like Heartguard.

You know, I can relate to your being hypochondriacal over kitties - I 'suffer' from the same wonderful affliction:lol: