Mosquito Bites On Ears And Nose

ReggieJohnAgain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 9-year-old adopted cat spends a lot of time in the back yard and his ears and nose get mosquito bites which turn into pustules that bleed and ooze. His ears get raw and as soon as the area dries up and starts to heal he scratches it and it gets raw all over again. He just gets bit more and more. It's like the wet blood on his ears is like a big neon sign flashing "EAT HERE". Since he was born he has always spent a lot of his time outdoors so there's no way I can keep him inside all the time. It would be like being in prison for him.
So far I haven't been able to find a repellent that is safe and effective. I wish the Advantage/ Frontline/Revolution people would come up with something for cats against mosquitoes. I guess it's not as widespread a problem as fleas and ticks so they haven't put any effort into that.
If anybody has any insights as to what I might do to make him unsavoury to mosquitoes I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks.
Reggie
P.S. His brother spends as much time outdoors but doesn't get bit at all, or if he does he doesn't react to the bites.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like your boy is allergic to mosquito bites! Pretty much the same thing happens to me when a mosquito bites me, although I'm not prone to scratching my ear with my hind foot.

I found this for you:

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwjFn7jiyeTWAhVL6iYKHXcLBtYQ9aACCDI&adurl=

Now, as for the bites that he already has, you can use a wash made of chamomile tea. Just brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and swab it on the "ouchies." It is wonderfully soothing on all sorts of skin irritations in humans and animals, and is safe for cats to ingest at proper dosages, and the amount he would take in through grooming is negligible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ReggieJohnAgain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like your boy is allergic to mosquito bites! Pretty much the same thing happens to me when a mosquito bites me, although I'm not prone to scratching my ear with my hind foot.

I found this for you:

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwjFn7jiyeTWAhVL6iYKHXcLBtYQ9aACCDI&adurl=

Now, as for the bites that he already has, you can use a wash made of chamomile tea. Just brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and swab it on the "ouchies." It is wonderfully soothing on all sorts of skin irritations in humans and animals, and is safe for cats to ingest at proper dosages, and the amount he would take in through grooming is negligible.
Thanks for your reply. I'm checking out this repellent. The reviews go through the spectrum from that it doesn't work at all to that it works great. It's worth a try. I appreciate your help with this.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I wish I could have done more! There are several others out there, but that one was natural, and I prefer those when they do work.