Mo's Food Trials

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Worom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I measured her overnight consumption at 15g, and she ate 6g for breakfast so we are making some progress there. She went for 2nd right before I was getting ready to remove the bowl lol.

So total consumption is at 21g she only needs another 13g by 10pm tonight to meet the minimum 24 hour calorie target. So what I'm thinking I will do is give her the 12g a 6pm as planned and leave down the 12g at 10pm overnight and she should run out before the morning.

Then tomorrow depending on how she does I will do the 12, 12 and 12 again but remove the 10pm bowl as well

This should allow her some time to figure out that she is supposed to eat at those times without causing a caloric issue.

Worom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rest of day two: weurva chicken frikazee offered at breakfast, she sniffed it and walked away. 12g of dry food was then offered. She ate 6g of the dry, Dinner offered about half a 3oz can of purina pro plan chicken and cheese in gravy wet food. She licked up all the gravy and left the chunks.

I found a few threads suggesting to grind up the chunks and add a bit of water. I did this and she ate the remaining food.

10pm offered the remaining Purina pro plan wet food, this is time already ground up. She ate about half of this. 17g of dry food was set down for overnight. She ate 9g of this overnight.

This morning offered 50g already ground up purina pro plan chicken and cheese wet food. She ate the entire portion. Looks like I may have found a food she likes. I may offer some dry at 1pm and then the remaining wet food at 6pm. Then dry at 10pm and pulling the 10pm serving after 30 minutes.

I would repeat this for 2-3 days then change the 1pm to wet as well, repeating for 2-3 more days before switching the 10pm meal to wet as well.

Once this is done, I will keep her diet the same for a while before starting to very slowly introduce higher quality wet food that doesn't have wheat or soy in it.

Worom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we had a bit of a setback, she regurgitated her dry food. I think we are moving too fast. I'm going to back off and moved to measured amounts for the morning and evening and leave them down. Then slowly start making it into multiple meals the reduce the number slowly. I noticed she tends to just nibble even at meal times so I don't think her GI system is used to eating a lot at one. Wet food is still in the game plan just at a much reduced pace.

As has been said, its a journey not a race.

Worom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, an update on Mo. Doing the controlled refills in the morning and evening has been going well. She has also started eating purina pro plan chicken and cheese in gravy wet food. She only eats about a can per day. And 1/4 cup of dry food to make sure she gets her calorie minimum. Hopefully I'll be able to reduce the dry food soon

Worom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A new update on Mo, she seems to be starting to figure out that she is supposed to eat the chunks in the canned food. I did have a few days where she would eat the wet food and regurgitate it pretty much right away. I pulled it for a day and gave her a bit more dry food to compensate. Hopefully she will eventually start eating the larger chunks of wet food.