Morning rituals

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was suddenly struck by how amusing our mornings are. Is this just something our strange little critters do or are such quirks common to kitties? 

So every morning, hubby goes down to the basement where we have a home gym and exercises. Sinbad loves it, and is always waiting at the door, it's like his private time with daddy. It's actually one of the few things that he'll actively defend, Bêlit is not  permitted through the door.  

The first ritual is that right before I have to go up to start cooking breakfast, he'll climb up on top of the built in desk/shelf thing and preen until I pick him up and cuddle him for a bit. He used to run up for play time while hubby cooled down, but he stopped that a while ago.. which has given rise to the next two rituals...

First, Bêlit. Hubby comes up the stairs, and she is waiting in the kitchen. As she sees him, she tears away at top speed, racing first into the dining room, where she zooms around all the table legs, then still at top speed, she zips up the stairs and sprawls on what we call the pet me step. It's the fourth step from the bottom, and her lying there is a signal that she would like some attention, please. Hubby is then expected to go there, pick her up, and carry her around while he walks to cool down from his workout.

Next, Tempest. About 3/4 of the way through his cool down walk, Tempest starts chirping and calling out to him. This signals the next stage - hubby must now put Bêlit down, and go pick up Tempest, who is waiting out on the landing, and carry her around while he finishes his walk. I will note for those who are familiar with the Tempest-Sinbad saga, that this is important enough to her that she will come out to wait for her ride even if Sinbad is lurking about. As you can expect, this is fairly new behavior for her, and we encourage it.

While this is happening, Sinbad has come out, and is caterwauling by the garage door. He continues making obnoxiously loud noise until I go down and pick him up and carry him around while I finish cooking breakfast. Once hubby puts Tempest back in her room, however, he zooms back down into the basement. Hubby then goes down to finish out his routine, and Sinbad does one of two things; either he hides behind the water heater until he gets locked in the basement, or he comes out so hubby can carry him up the stairs and drop him by his food bowl.

If he wants to be locked in, he stays locked in until I finish giving everyone breakfast, then go "rescue" him and carry him to his food bowl.

This has all become normal now, but it suddenly struck me how absolutely hilarious it is. All of these carries, btw, have the same sound effect: super loud purrs from the cat in question that can be clearly heard from across the room. And oh the pouts and sobbing cries from the cat in question if any of these 'carries' are forgotten. 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Sinbad and Tempest need book contracts for their surefire bestseller:  How to Train Your Human.  They have done such a great job with you and your husband that they should share their wisdom with other cats.  

BTW:  your morning routine is hilarious but completely adorable as well.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Sinbad and Tempest need book contracts for their surefire bestseller:  How to Train Your Human.  They have done such a great job with you and your husband that they should share their wisdom with other cats.  

BTW:  your morning routine is hilarious but completely adorable as well.  
Yeah, tell me about it. 

It starts so innocently ... a little break while cooking so I go down and pick up Sinbad. Then one day you realize it's become routine, and he is upset if it doesn't happen because it's now part of his day.